Receptacle under bathroom sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Hi all. It has been a long time since I've been here. I'm staying too busy too frequent like in the past. Quick question on code if you will. A customer wants a receptacle under their bathroom sink. Is this legal? I don't like the idea, because of curling irons and irons and other things with heating elements being left on under the sink with a rolls of toilet paper and fingernail polish remover. Sounds like a molatolve cocktail. Any code concerns im facing? Thanks for any help. Glad to be back.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Receptacle under bathroom sink.

I don't see it being a problem as long as the sink has the required receptacle mounted within 3' of the basin you are free to install an additional one under the sink. I can understand the reasons that you've mentioned but I don't think that the NEC would prohibit it.

benaround

Chris,

Just thinking,It might be nice(or safer) if some type of time switch (in minutes) was ahead of the recpt. just in case.

frank

allenwayne

i have done many custom homrs where the h/o`r wanted receps under the cabinet.They wee gfci protected so what is the problem :D

tony_psuee

It's legal, however you can always ask why. When I finished the bathroom in my basement the plumber wanted a recept under the bathroom sink for a hot water recirc pump. When I told the electrician, he said not a code issue but why? Gave him the reason he said OK, but anything other than that and he would have tried to talk me out of it for the concerns you expressed.

Tony

jim k

For the past few years, I've been seeing switched receptacles under bathroom cabinets in upscale houses. The builder uses them to power a rope light that he then runs under the cabinet's toe kick. It makes for a cool-looking night-light.

I've never noticed anything else plugged into them. After all, who wants to get down on their knees and root around through all the junk that most people store down there when there's a perfectly easy-to-reach receptacle near the basin?

- Jim K, Oregon

jimwalker

I have installed plenty of them.Why not ? The idea is low light in middle of night.Keep them gfci protected and your fine.If you refuse they will find a new electrician that will.It is not required that we like it.It meets code and they want it.Work for the rich and you soon will learn they get what they want.

macmikeman

I did one for a homeowner who had etched glass bowl's for his sinks. I ran a switched rope light around the bowl under the countertop in the cabinet . The rope light is seen thru the bowels He really wanted a dimmer on it also, but I would not do that for him. It looked pretty cool when done.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jimwalker:
I have installed plenty of them.Why not ? The idea is low light in middle of night.Keep them gfci protected and your fine.
While you're at it, sell them one of these bad boys from P&S. ;)
461674.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by macmikeman:
I did one for a homeowner who had etched glass bowl's for his sinks. I ran a switched rope light around the bowl under the countertop in the cabinet . The rope light is seen thru the bowels He really wanted a dimmer on it also, but I would not do that for him. It looked pretty cool when done.
Why would you not put a dimmer on it?

I just don't see that as introducing any additional hazard.

jeff43222

Originally posted by petersonra:
Originally posted by macmikeman:

I suspect his refusal may have had something to do with:

NEC 2002 404.14(E) Dimmer switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires (lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly.

Having a dimmer control a receptacle could lead to problems if someone plugs something other than an incandescent light into it and tries to "dim" the load. I think that's why this prohibition exists.

[ August 01, 2005, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

I heard an interesting take on the purpose of the NEC a couple weeks ago, it may have even been here in fact, don't remember...

The purpose of the NEC is to protect the wiring system from morons, not to protect morons from themselves.
;)

macmikeman

Because the switch controls a receptacle outlet under the sink. I do not dim receptacle outlets. The rope lights had a factory installed molded case male plug on them. I don't cut these off either, or make other field modifications to lights or appliances other than making ko's or such.

hurk27

You could get one of those plug in touch dimmers like those used for hockey puck line voltage lights. They just have a single conductor running to a round touch pad the will select three levels of dimming. I have on on each of my table lamps in the living room. :D

allenwayne

Having a dimmer control a receptacle could lead to problems if someone plugs something other than an incandescent light into it and tries to "dim" the load. I think that's why this prohibition exists

Yeah I can see that hazard 3 am getting ready for along day.I crawl under the bathroom sink seaching for a receptacle past the wives hairdryers,curlers for a receptacle that oh my. That`s my bad I had one within 3 ft. of the sink :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Dimmer switches are not permitted to control receptacles. See: 404.14(E)

Status
Not open for further replies.