Receptacles on Plumbing Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpenbert

We are installing a plumbing space saving device that has the outlet boxes for washer and dryer already attached on each side of a large metal box. Is it required that the washer and dryer circuits be GFCI protected?

Thanks

-------------
David

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Receptacles on Plumbing Device

Originally posted by dpenbert: Can you explain why not?
Perhaps the reason is that the code making panels could not justify forcing all circuits to be GFCI protected. It's not impossible that things will evolve that way, but it's not likely to happen quickly.

I think that the reason has to do with the potential paths for current flow. If a device experiences a short circuit from a hot leg to an external metal part, the thing that protects the human operator (or the innocent bystander) is the equipment grounding conductor. But there are circumstances in which a human can become part of the circuit, without the external metal parts also being part of the circuit. One example is a damaged and wet extension cord used outdoors. Another is a hair dryer (plastic case, no EGC) that is dropped into bathroom sink. Another is an old drill (again, plastic case, no EGC) that you are more likely to use in your garage or unfinished basement than in the dining room. The areas in which GFCI protection is needed are the areas in which a hazard is more likely to exist.

I can't think of a scenario in which a person is likely to get a shock from a washer or dryer, without the EGC also being involved, and without the breaker tripping because of fault current flowing in the EGC.

dpenbert

Good explanation, thats what I thought as well I just didn't know how to best explain the reasoning to my electrician who asked the question.

Thanks
------------
David

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Is it required that the washer and dryer circuits be GFCI protected?
Under the 2005 code, it is possible that you would have to provide GFCI protection. The change in the 2005 code requires that all 125 volt, 15 or 20 amp recpetacles installed within 6' of the outside edge of a laundry sink. There are no exceptions.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19: The change in the 2005 code requires that all 125 volt, 15 or 20 amp receptacles installed within 6' of the outside edge of a laundry sink. There are no exceptions.
And that's a good thing! After all, when I pick up the washer with one hand, so that I can sweep the floor under it with the other hand, I might accidentally drop it into the laundry sink. :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

GFCI breakers can be used to feed these devices if GFCI protection is required or desired.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Charlie:

I'd expect you to unplug the washer before you picked it up. And you should really use both hands, and bend your knees, not your back.

You're just asking for an accident to happen :D

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.