Recepticle area

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: Recepticle area

See section 314.16(B)(4).

The type of device is of no concern. Any device requires a double volume allowance based on the largest conductor connected to the device.

physis

This isn't meant as a critsism, only something good to know.

"Area" describes something like the surface of a square. (2 dimensions)

"Volume" describes things like the space in a cube. (3 dimensions)

Your question concerns volume as opposed to area.

:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Is anyone other than me bothered by this? A 2 wire reduction for a $.49 Home Depot switch which is less than a 1/4 of the size of a GFCI receptacle doesn't seem logical. Shouldn't the deduction reflect the actual volume that the device requires as opposed to a standard 2 conductor deduction for a device of any size?

bphgravity

As I understand it, the allowances are sufficent for the larger devices which means you simply have extra room for the smaller devices even though they all are figured the same.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

As I understand it, the allowances are sufficent for the larger devices which means you simply have extra room for the smaller devices even though they all are figured the same.
This makes perfect sense. Thanks!

allenwayne

Yeah it is figured on the largest device that can be installed ,but ever try and install a gfci device in a pvc/bakelite 4 square box with 2 3 12`S in it :eek: Or for that fact a 600w dimmer in one of these boxes

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The reason that I mentioned it was because the NEC has seemed to evolve around issues like this. For example a few code cycles ago conduit fill was based on trade size, not the actual cross-sectional area of the conduit as it is now. In the 2005 NEC we see a code change in 314.16(B)(1) which addresses the practice of some electricians to leave miles of looped unbroken wire in junction boxes. Now we may have to count that unbroken pass through conductor as two not one conductor.

This leads me back to my original point that since some devices are considerably smaller than others than why do they still count for the same 2X wire reduction? Does anyone feel that the NEC should address issues like this as well?

molotov27

My guess would be to simplify things.

There are some many devices out there available that it would be a pain in the neck...switches...single pole, two pole, three way, four way, GFCI's, AFCI's, receptacles....15, 20A, 30A, 50A, 125V, 250V, etc, etc, etc, etc.....you get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.