Recepticles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this may sound kinda dumb, but here goes. I am changing out all the recepticles in a house. A few of the areas are on 20 amp breakers. If these are convenience outlets is there any reason to put 20 amp recepticles. The way I'm thinking is, if it doesnt have a 20 amp plug then it cant draw 20 amps from a single point. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? In a kitchen, should I have 20 amp GFCI's or should I put 15's on the 20 amp circuits. I cant think of 1 thing that would ever draw more then 15 amps in a single location, and do I want it to?

Can someone explain this?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Ok this may sound kinda dumb, but here goes. I am changing out all the recepticles in a house. A few of the areas are on 20 amp breakers. If these are convenience outlets is there any reason to put 20 amp recepticles. The way I'm thinking is, if it doesnt have a 20 amp plug then it cant draw 20 amps from a single point. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? In a kitchen, should I have 20 amp GFCI's or should I put 15's on the 20 amp circuits. I cant think of 1 thing that would ever draw more then 15 amps in a single location, and do I want it to?

Can someone explain this?

210.21(B) and Table 210.21(B)(3) will help you with this.

Great thanks. The way I read that is that on 15 amp circuits supplying 2 or more recepticles=15 amp recepticle. On 20 amp circuits supplying 2 or more recepticles= 15 or 20 amp recepticles.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Also, if you haven't done so, take a look at Art 100 definitions of a receptacle. You might find that interesting.

97catintenn

You're thinking right. Just use 15a plugs everywhere. It should be obvious which outlets are on the 20amp breaker because they should be wired with 12g wire and the 15amp circuits should all be 14g.

Status
Not open for further replies.