Recess Lighting Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

I am trying to find a cost effective method of installing 6" pop-in "Halo" recessed cans in a sheet rock ceiling that is attached to 1" tongue & groove. The house was built in 1960. A 6 & 1.4" holesaw is too expensive.
Thank you,
Jim

mcclary's electrical

I am trying to find a cost effective method of installing 6" pop-in "Halo" recessed cans in a sheet rock ceiling that is attached to 1" tongue & groove. The house was built in 1960. A 6 & 1.4" holesaw is too expensive.
Thank you,
Jim

No offense, but if you can't afford a 28 dollar hole saw......... \

Can you afford the liability the running your own business

Ravenvalor

Hole saw problem solved.

Hole saw problem solved.

Thanks, $40 for a hole saw is a good deal.

Now I have to figure out a way to install the 6" halo remodel cans. The provided springs will only work on about a 1/2" thickness. This ceiling is 1 and 1/2" thick. I was thinking about driving skinny wood screws into the sides of the tongue and groove but I am worried about ul listing. Speaking of ul listing, "Halo" might not even permit installation on wood.

Thank you,

Jim

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jim I don't think installing the cans in wood is an issue and I believe the Halo clips will work. I take it there is no attic above this? If there is I would strongly recommend standard cans-- I hate the remodel cans and only use them where I have to.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Lowes sells a hole saw kit that collects the dust as you cut. Not sure how it works on wood but it is 25.00

783310069232lg.jpg

Ravenvalor

springs

springs

Jim I don't think installing the cans in wood is an issue and I believe the Halo clips will work. I take it there is no attic above this? If there is I would strongly recommend standard cans-- I hate the remodel cans and only use them where I have to.

I've got some cans in the shop. I will try to bend it 1.5". I tried it on Thursday and got the impression that it would not work.

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sorry I didn't read your post thru. Sheetrock with T & G will not work. Just for your info the T&G is probably 3/4" but it still wont work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
On a side note, these saws are dangerous.
Jim

Yeah I have the very nice $80.00 version-- that was 15 years ago price. :) It works well but wood is still tricky. I like the adjustability of it.

Make sure that hole saw works for retro cans and specifically the one you want to use. Should work for Halo-- this is from Home depot
For 6 In. recessed lights.
Makes precise holes in drywall and ceiling tile.
Recommended for most major brands of 6 In. recessed lighting fixtures.
For use in drywall, ceiling tile, steel, wood, plastic, stainless steel and cast iron.
MFG Brand Name : Klein Tools
MFG Model # : 31600SEN
MFG Part # : 31600SEN
I would be careful with this saw also, esp. in wood.

d5ae130b-7c12-43e9-83f9-c735c0d04e65_300.jpg

mcclary's electrical

I don't know who makes it, but there is a remodel can with different slots on the clips, I think there's slots 1/2", 1", 1 &1/2". Sorry I can't remember the name.

mengelman

I've done a lot in wood ceilings and never had any luck with holesaws that size.
They can grab and do some damage. I use a recip saw. I use a greenlee with replaceable blades for sheetrock. Havent had much luck with that whirlygig thing either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If I had to I would get rid of the clips and get some sheetmetal and make an "ell" shape. Near the top drill a hole and tap it for an 8/32 screw. Put the can in and then slide the homemade sheetmetal clips into the slots using the screw as a handle ( you may need a washer ). Push the clip down and tighten with the screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.