Recessed 2x4 Troffer installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question regarding the installation of a few existing parabolic troffers that are planned for re-use. The troffers were originally located in a typical grid type ceiling but the grid ceiling is being removed in one of the areas. The plan is to re-use the existing troffers but to chain hang or find another way to support them.

The question is can this be done? I have seen it done before but we all know that doesn't make it correct. If this can't be done I am looking for a code section that prohibits such installation.

Thanks

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Jack chain, aircraft cable, etc.... I like aircraft cable.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My concern would be whether the luminaire has attachment points for cables and gives installation instructions for that kind of mounting.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My concern would be whether the luminaire has attachment points for cables and gives installation instructions for that kind of mounting.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am not sure as I have not actually seen the fixtures themselves. I was under the impression after talking with a few lighting reps that all 2x4 troffers have the ability to attach support wires at each of the four corners so that the fixtures can be used anywhere that seismic support is required (some seismic zone jurisdictions require support on all 4 corners).

I doubt the instructions would say anything about mounting them in this manner since they are typically used for grids. Knowing that they have to be supported independent of the grid in seismic zones though lends me to believe that they have been designed to be supported solely by support wires attached to all 4 corners.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am not sure as I have not actually seen the fixtures themselves. I was under the impression after talking with a few lighting reps that all 2x4 troffers have the ability to attach support wires at each of the four corners so that the fixtures can be used anywhere that seismic support is required (some seismic zone jurisdictions require support on all 4 corners).

I doubt the instructions would say anything about mounting them in this manner since they are typically used for grids. Knowing that they have to be supported independent of the grid in seismic zones though lends me to believe that they have been designed to be supported solely by support wires attached to all 4 corners.
Sounds good. That leaves a question about how to wire them so that wire is both flexible and supported per code.
If you have that figured out, then you are good to go (unless you have inspector issues.)

Status
Not open for further replies.