recessed cans and pex (plastic water lines) and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing a remodel it was clear the recessed cans were close to the pex water lines. I asked electrical inspector is there a required distance he said 2 /3 inches should be fine as they are closer to the floor above.
I asked a plumber he said as long as there is water in that line it would never melt.

Buck Parrish

Remember once you put the lens in the can. It will help shield the can it self from heat. And if the right kind of bulb is used most of the heat is directed outward. Also each can comes with a heat sensor inside. It is bi-metal it shrinks when it gets hot. Thus opening the circuit and shutting off the light bulb. When it cools off it will close the circuit causeing the light to come on again.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
redwood1957 said:
I asked a plumber he said as long as there is water in that line it would never melt.
That's true, and it's also why you can boil water in a paper cup.

steelersman

buckofdurham said:
Remember once you put the lens in the can. It will help shield the can it self from heat. And if the right kind of bulb is used most of the heat is directed outward. Also each can comes with a heat sensor inside. It is bi-metal it shrinks when it gets hot. Thus opening the circuit and shutting off the light bulb. When it cools off it will close the circuit causeing the light to come on again.
Not all recessed trims are cone-shaped and go up inside the can. Some of the cheaper ones are just a flat donut.

JohnE

I work with one plumber who says that he must keep 12" from recessed lighting because the UV's will deteriorate the Pex. I seriously doubt that is a requirement, but whatever floats his boat....But ICBW.

steelersman

j_erickson said:
I work with one plumber who says that he must keep 12" from recessed lighting because the UV's will deteriorate the Pex. I seriously doubt that is a requirement, but whatever floats his boat....But ICBW.
do incandescent bulbs put out UV rays?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
steelersman said:
do incandescent bulbs put out UV rays?
Halogens, which are incandescent, do, but standard incandescents do not.

By the way, the UV is filtered out by the outer glass with halogens.

Status
Not open for further replies.