Recessed Lighting use lights as simple design on ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiloKirb

Occupation
Electrical GC
I'm cool if you think I'm crazy. Has anyone ever layed out recessed light in some type of simple shape or maybe a spiral design. I have been installing recessed lighting since I was 11 years old. It's always been a grid design. I want to do some type of shape or design using different size high hats I think it would make this master bedroom in a mansion look very cool. If I'm crazy just let me know, I can take it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I'm cool if you think I'm crazy. Has anyone ever layed out recessed light in some type of simple shape or maybe a spiral design. I have been installing recessed lighting since I was 11 years old. It's always been a grid design. I want to do some type of shape or design using different size high hats I think it would make this master bedroom in a mansion look very cool. If I'm crazy just let me know, I can take it.
Not crazy, but I'd certainly include the owners in that design.

Welcome to the forum.

KiloKirb

Occupation
Electrical GC
Oh yea definitely. I want to make it into a 3D model or something to that extent so the can get a visual. Thanks for the reply. I have been searching the internet for any photos of examples bit can't find anything.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, I have done them in a circle often, or in a semi-circle to match something on the ground such as a sunken area of the room or very large and roundish island.

I am always very clear with my customers, there is no right or wrong way to do it, They can put them wherever they want, especially now with the wafer (pancake) LED recessed style lights that fit underneath framing.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have using cans. Difficult part was working around the framing.

One we did was pendant lights in a spiral pattern with different elevations. A lot of time spent on layout. Make sure you charge for that time. Like @ptonsparky said, make sure the home owner signs off.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
When I remodeled my house I installed about 25 cans and I purposely avoided any kind of symmetrical, grid layout. I didn't do any particular pattern I walked around and said to myself, "Where do I want to have light?" and put a can there. It turned out great, and if it happened to drive anybody crazy that was a bonus, but it didn't. The great thing about recessed lighting is that you don't pay that much attention to it when you are in the room. You sure do notice when you don't have good lighting though.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And remember that laying out on the floor is much easier than on a bunch of framing above your head. Once the final layout is complete use a laser plumb bob to transfer it.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
And remember that laying out on the floor is much easier than on a bunch of framing above your head. Once the final layout is complete use a laser plumb bob to transfer it.
Exactly.

A 2x4 for a guide and a pencil or marking keel to draw it out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's the great thing about recessed lights: they provide light without drawing undue attention to themselves; quite the opposite of track lighting. 🤮

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
When I remodeled my house I installed about 25 cans and I purposely avoided any kind of symmetrical, grid layout. I didn't do any particular pattern I walked around and said to myself, "Where do I want to have light?" and put a can there. It turned out great, and if it happened to drive anybody crazy that was a bonus, but it didn't. The great thing about recessed lighting is that you don't pay that much attention to it when you are in the room. You sure do notice when you don't have good lighting though.
I've been told that if it's almost lined up then it's worse than if completely based on where lighting is needed. Still I laser my cans usually because that's what's desired in most situations.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We're usually locked into a rectangular pattern because we usually build rectangular rooms.

But, we can still place lights where the light is needed in one dimension, like over countertops.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I worked with/for a lighting designer for a couple of years. Oh two jobs, she had the carpenters move ceiling joists and reframe to get (art) lights exactly where she wanted them.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I worked with/for a lighting designer for a couple of years. Oh two jobs, she had the carpenters move ceiling joists and reframe to get (art) lights exactly where she wanted them.
I wired a pair of large, non-matching sculpted sconces for my brother and his wife. The artist wanted me to wire first, and I said no way. You hang them first, as long as I can take them down, then I'll wire them.

I did not want to be responsible for getting the wire for each one in exactly the right place. I was right that I could not have gotten each one correctly located ahead of time. They looked great afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.