Recessed Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Halo and I think Ultitech is exactly like Halo. IMO Thier superior. No wire nuts or romex connectors required.

An other thing on the pop in or renovetion recessed lights. The top is concaved a bit making it easier to fit it in the holes.

guitarchris

we use Lithonia. I've always felt they were very well finished and easy to install. However i feel that they have taken a turn for the worse in regards to quality. The trims are thinner than they used to be and the arms are sort of floppy.
We used some Halo LED's recently and really liked them. I hate Halo's trims on their average line....the LED's are MUCH nicer.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I like HALO brand. They are very sturdy. I have helped/worked with other guys who use the CE brand from Home Cheapo. They are really flimsy. I also always use the IC rated cans so I don't ever have to worry about clearances.

IrishRugger

I prefer Halo as well havenot had any problems with them they install very well both the new construction and the remodel sizes & I love the WA30 trims as well

Split Bolt

Miguel, I have a LOT of experience with Progress recessed lights. Overall, they are good. the one-piece trims are nice because the are airtight (AT) and you can't see springs or the inside of can when looking up into the finished product! The 6" remodeler is easy to install. It has a ring around the base that holds it from going into the hole you cut. The 5" remodeler however, is a piece of poo! Instead of a ring, it comes with 3 little clips you have to snap onto the bottom lip. What a pain they are! My supplier recently switched from Progress to Lightolier, so now I'm using Lightolier, which is what I've used most of my career working for others. Personally, I think Lightolier is the best, but Progress is not bad, except for the 5" remodeler! I think Halo, while easy to install, looks cheap! That's my opinion!:D

Martinelli

I use Elite for standard installations. They basically have the same line of products as Halo. They are less expensive, same or better quality and easier to install. Their remodel cans are much easier to install than Halo. I think the quality of Halo has gone down. Elite are very easy to shorten the mounting legs for tight joist bays.

mcclary's electrical

Have you found any advantages for using a specific brand of recessed lights? Would you explain why you prefer them?

For new work 6" , I install Halo H7IC's because I can get a totally enclosed air tite trim that most homeowners love for about $6:D

I hate being able to look beside a bulb and see insde of the can

Steviechia2

Lightolier is my choice just because they have the best looking finished product by far. The thing i don't like about them is the cans are not installer friendly. Juno's cans are great to install but I just don't like any finish trim with springs!

electricmanscott

I use Elite for standard installations. They basically have the same line of products as Halo. They are less expensive, same or better quality and easier to install. Their remodel cans are much easier to install than Halo. I think the quality of Halo has gone down. Elite are very easy to shorten the mounting legs for tight joist bays.

Same here. I ditched Lightolier in favor of Elite for $$ reasons.

Martinelli

For new work 6" , I install Halo H7IC's because I can get a totally enclosed air tite trim that most homeowners love for about $6:D

I hate being able to look beside a bulb and see insde of the can

look into the 5 inch Elite. It has an air tight trim and will take a 75 watt Par 30. It cost about $10 for the housing (new or remodel) and $6 for the trim. I think it looks better than the 6 inch. Really clean look.

Master of ONE

Elite is far better I think than halo or utilitech.. I have installed thousands of recessed lights in my career from CE to progress, juno, nora, halo.. and by far I'm very happy with elite.. The price is much less than any other brands here locally in california and have all the features of halo. Trims are very inexpensive and very easy to install.. AT 6" trims with pressure clips are alot easier to install than the standard spring trims used by most other manufacturers.

I primarily use Elco. Metal baffles that will not turn yellow over time and good pricing. Halo is OK but I just have something against them. Juno in a pinch but they are way proud of their product (read pricey) for what they deliver.

On a separate but related note can anyone explain to me why people put in 6" cans and install BR 30s? The extra real estate around the lamp looks hideous. If you want to use a BR 30 why not install a 5" can and if you want to install a 6" can why not use a BR 40? I see this in countless houses and it drives me nuts.

Split Bolt

On a separate but related note can anyone explain to me why people put in 6" cans and install BR 30s? The extra real estate around the lamp looks hideous. If you want to use a BR 30 why not install a 5" can and if you want to install a 6" can why not use a BR 40? I see this in countless houses and it drives me nuts.

Funny you wrote that! I just had that discussion w/ a homeowner yesterday! She has Lightolier 1176WH (6") trims with BR30s. I got a BR40 out to show her how much better they look with the lamp they were designed for!:D In the process, I noticed that the BR40 sits up in the trim. A bad sign since there is an attic above and Lightolier IC fixtures ALWAYS have the bottom of the lamp just about flush with the ceiling!:mad: That means that some jackleg put non IC remodelers in her insulated attic! Oh well, it is WAY too hot for any attic work here for a few months, but I'll get a bid out to her for the fall!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.