Recessed luminaire junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

finhead

Does anyone know if it is a code violation, written or expressed in the instructions, to use the junction box attached to a recessed luminaire for circuits not functionally associated with the luminaire?

Thanks,
Brian Dolan

alfiesauce

For renos this is a handy feature of recessed can fixtures. But you do have to make sure that your conductors are rated for 90 degrees, which eliminates the ability to put a lot of old style wiring into them for splicing purposes.

stickboy1375

Does anyone know if it is a code violation, written or expressed in the instructions, to use the junction box attached to a recessed luminaire for circuits not functionally associated with the luminaire?

Thanks,
Brian Dolan

Since all recess are removable, just install a j-box above the recess if necessary.

aftershock

I have had some remodel jobs where I needed to extend some existing wiring and was able to use the JB on the recess can. I had not really thought about installing my own JB at the location of the can.

That leads me to ask,, could that JB be floating? I ask because if I were to secure it in place, it would be hard to access because of the frame of the can.

alfiesauce

I bet the term "readily accessible" is one that has been beat up like a dead horse on this forum.

I've had some inspectors be ok with it, some not be ok with it. I don't think placing a jb above a can is a good practice but it is, imo, a way to get out binds you run into in old house remodels.

The box is easily accessible, but being above a can makes it pretty much invisible to anybody trying to troubleshoot in the future.

Chris6245

The same rules may apply but a box that is accessed from a removed recessed light is not readily accesible.

How does this differ from a j-box above an 8' drop ceiling? that box is not "readily accesible" because of the need for a portable ladder? Where does it say that a jbox has to be readily accesible?

Status
Not open for further replies.