Recessed rework can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I installed several rework type 6" recessed cans. GC now says that all ceilings are going to be hung over with 1/2" drywall because of the amount of repair required.

I verified that the torsion springs are long enough on the trims to work properly.

My question is.

Is there anything codewise that would prohibit the use of the housing being 1/2" above the surface finish?

Thanks

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I never get my panties is a bunch over this , however it is not to manufactures spec. How is the j-box accessible.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If they are "rework" cans, you can pull them out to access the JB.

Also, you should be able to change where the springs mount to accommodate the thicker ceiling. Also can drop the inside of the can down on most brands.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If they are "rework" cans, you can pull them out to access the JB.

Also, you should be able to change where the springs mount to accommodate the thicker ceiling. Also can drop the inside of the can down on most brands.

You won't be able to pull the can down if remodel cans are covered by drywall. The lip will be covered over. Not a issue if attic access.

kwired

Electron manager
In a house with plaster/lath ceilings that they were planning to fur out and drywall the ceiling, I knocked out large holes in plaster/lath where I intended to install recess cans. Then came back later and cut out drywall where each can was to be located. Large hole in plaster/lath allowed for no issues with the mounting clamps on the cans. And you always cut your own holes for remodel cans or you possibly end up with too big of a hole to work with the can. Dry wall hangers think any cutout too large is repairable by the mud crew.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I agree. I suspect the GC or owner doesn't want to incur the cost of this, though.

OP say's he has already installed the cans.

It would be hard to cut out around the already installed cans. Even if you get close the cans might be damaged from the cut.
I say it would be better to drop the cans and unwire them. Then you cut cut out the holes without worry. You would need to get a measurement from a starting point and distance between cans to know where to cut. Or you could just cut all new holes.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It would be hard to cut out around the already installed cans. Even if you get close the cans might be damaged from the cut.
I say it would be better to drop the cans and unwire them. Then you cut cut out the holes without worry. You would need to get a measurement from a starting point and distance between cans to know where to cut. Or you could just cut all new holes.

Why would it be difficult to cut the holes with the can in place. The rockers use a zip tool. I guess if the go around the outside they will have a big surprise.

Ooooops as the can falls out. :?

growler

Take the cans down before adding the drywall!;)

I agree. I suspect the GC or owner doesn't want to incur the cost of this, though.

I agree that taking the cans down is the best idea but as strathead says, "who is going to pay".
It's going to be almost as hard to re-install as the original installation.

What I wonder is if there is attic access why is the ceiling so messed up to need new sheetrock?
Did they change their mind about location a few times or something?

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that taking the cans down is the best idea but as strathead says, "who is going to pay".
It's going to be almost as hard to re-install as the original installation.

What I wonder is if there is attic access why is the ceiling so messed up to need new sheetrock?
Did they change their mind about location a few times or something?
Drywall is fairly cheap. Tearing down existing might mean loose fill insulation all comes down. Easier and maybe less cost to just go over top of what is there than if there are many places where repairs are necessary.

KnightPower

Then alert the GC that there will be a change order as she/he has changed the construction. Drop them is best because we all know the slam-zip method rockers use. Even if they don't filet the edges of can with bit they could possibly jar the cans lose, oblong, etc..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

growler

Drywall is fairly cheap. Tearing down existing might mean loose fill insulation all comes down. Easier and maybe less cost to just go over top of what is there than if there are many places where repairs are necessary.

What I was asking is why any repairs are needed if there was attic access. Normally with attic access you can install can lights with no repairs needed.

If the ceiling was already in bad shape and in need of repair they should have know what correction was to be made. If it was new sheet rock they should have done this before having cans installed.

Sounds like a lack of planning on someone's part. And it's going to cost someone.

kwired

Electron manager
What I was asking is why any repairs are needed if there was attic access. Normally with attic access you can install can lights with no repairs needed.

If the ceiling was already in bad shape and in need of repair they should have know what correction was to be made. If it was new sheet rock they should have done this before having cans installed.

Sounds like a lack of planning on someone's part. And it's going to cost someone.
If you already put in cans then they tell you they are going to rock over existing ceiling - I agree, poor planning and coordination between trades. Also been in projects where owners change their mind on things more then the wind changes directions, no such thing as planning on those kind of projects.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you already put in cans then they tell you they are going to rock over existing ceiling - I agree, poor planning and coordination between trades. Also been in projects where owners change their mind on things more then the wind changes directions, no such thing as planning on those kind of projects.

Here , Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.