reciprocity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right catagory to post this question, it just seemed like the most relevant one. I was wondering how it works when one state will reciprocate with another, but the other doesn't reciprocate with the first. For instance, alabama reciprocates with arkansas, but arkansas doesn't reciprocate with alabam. So does this mean you can move from arkansas to alabama, or from alabama to arkansas? And alabama doesn't reciprocate with oregon, but arkansas does. So does that mean I can use an oregon license to get an arkansas licence, then use my arkansas license to get an alabama one?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The way I understand it is that you can only reciprocate with those states that reciprocate with the state in which you hold a license.

I am making this scenario up -- NC reciprocates with Georgia but not with Florida. Georgia reciprocates with Florida-- NC CANNOT reciprocate with Florida.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm not sure if this is the right catagory to post this question, it just seemed like the most relevant one. I was wondering how it works when one state will reciprocate with another, but the other doesn't reciprocate with the first. For instance, alabama reciprocates with arkansas, but arkansas doesn't reciprocate with alabam. So does this mean you can move from arkansas to alabama, or from alabama to arkansas? And alabama doesn't reciprocate with oregon, but arkansas does. So does that mean I can use an oregon license to get an arkansas licence, then use my arkansas license to get an alabama one?

You are confusing me, but here is the way I would approach. Look at the License board you want to move to. They will tell you what licenses they recprocate with. This means that they accept that you are qualified to hold a license in their state without testing or proving experience. All other requirements will still likely need to be met, such as financial proof, liability etc. So you can hop skip, as in aquire a license from a state that accepts yours just so you can apply to a state that accepts that one.

Hope this helps.

kwired

Electron manager
The way I understand it is that you can only reciprocate with those states that reciprocate with the state in which you hold a license.

I am making this scenario up -- NC reciprocates with Georgia but not with Florida. Georgia reciprocates with Florida-- NC CANNOT reciprocate with Florida.

But with your hypothetical situation what he is asking is if I hold a NC license I can get a recrocal license with GA. Now that I have a GA license can I now get one from FL because they do recriprocate with FL?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
But with your hypothetical situation what he is asking is if I hold a NC license I can get a recrocal license with GA. Now that I have a GA license can I now get one from FL because they do recriprocate with FL?

I was curious about that also. I was looking at the NCBEEC site for some information, but nothing about your question...

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Typically no, as most sates require that the license that you use to reciprocate to them must have been achieved by examination, not by reciprocity. And like the OP noted, not all reciprocity deals are both directions. Also some states will license by endorsement even without a reciprocity agreement. I've learned that, to use reciprocity, each sitiuation has to be looked at very closely as there are a million different requirements for each state.

kwired

Electron manager
Typically no, as most sates require that the license that you use to reciprocate to them must have been achieved by examination, not by reciprocity. And like the OP noted, not all reciprocity deals are both directions. Also some states will license by endorsement even without a reciprocity agreement. I've learned that, to use reciprocity, each sitiuation has to be looked at very closely as there are a million different requirements for each state.

I was going to mention that in most cases they carefully examine things, and would likely want to verify how a license was acquired before allowing it to be used for a reciprocal application.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That is what I was saying-- you cannot do that because you do not hold a license in Georgia. You still hold a NC license that gives permission to work in GA. If Fla. wanted reciprocity with NC then it would do so.

Thanks for the replys. I was asking because my family and I were planning to move from Oregon to Alabama within the next 5 years. Alabama reciprocates with arkansas, who reciprocates with oregon. I was just hoping to find a way to just transfer my license without having to go down there just to test. apparently the verdict is that you cannot pass your license through a state for the purposes of gaining reciprocity with another state. Is that what the official answer would be?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think reciprocity is somewhat misunderstood. As Dennis pointed out, a state may recognize (reciprocate) your license from elsewhere to do a project in their state but they will not simply give you a license if you decide to relocate, you will have to test. I am talking about contracting not a jman card, that I am not sure of.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
I think reciprocity is somewhat misunderstood. As Dennis pointed out, a state may recognize (reciprocate) your license from elsewhere to do a project in their state but they will not simply give you a license if you decide to relocate, you will have to test. I am talking about contracting not a jman card, that I am not sure of.

Roger

I could be wrong but I thought many states are more likley to reciprocate a journeymen than they are a contractor. They want the contractor to take the test if he is to come to the state, whether permanent or just for 1 job.

ritelec

I didn't know these states did this......thanks for the education.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I could be wrong but I thought many states are more likley to reciprocate a journeymen than they are a contractor.
That may be true, as I said, I'm not sure of the Jman rules.
They want the contractor to take the test if he is to come to the state, whether permanent or just for 1 job.
Not true as a blanket statement, the reason for the reciprocity rules is to allow a contractor to perform work in another state for a one time (or more ) projects with out being licensed in that state.

Roger

John120/240

I live on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. The state line divides the metro

area right down the middle. We do work all over the area & there is never any squabble over

qualifcations. The only requirement is a occupancational license for each city that you work

in.

kwired

Electron manager
I live on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. The state line divides the metro

area right down the middle. We do work all over the area & there is never any squabble over

qualifcations. The only requirement is a occupancational license for each city that you work

in.

It is possible Missouri or Kansas have no jurisdiction within city jurisdiction areas.

Here in Nebraska there is state AHJ that also issues state licenses and there is city/county jurisdictions. The cities/counties generally do not issue separate licenses but require registration - to be eligible to register you must hold a state license.

TobyD

So, it seems to me that if you passed a state exam then only that state and their reciprocity are where you could obtain a license.If you passed one in Al. then only those states listed would issue you a contractors license.Other words you can't recip. with a recip.Does that make sense??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So, it seems to me that if you passed a state exam then only that state and their reciprocity are where you could obtain a license.If you passed one in Al. then only those states listed would issue you a contractors license.Other words you can't recip. with a recip.Does that make sense??

Yep

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Washington state rescinded its reciprocity last year for all states. It was set up years ago and you got a 90 temp if you were an electrican but still had to take the test, offered here and there every 90 days. Now you can test one line in your area. You send in your application, state electrical dept takes a look and determines if your training or certification meets what we require.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Huh Just thinking back for this answer--20 years ago I moved back to Montana and had a Wash State Jman -- Montana gave me a MT State Jman by reciprocity becuase i had tested in Wa for my card here--

Man was that really 20 years ago to 1992!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.