Recomended generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokum

Does any one have a suggestion for a generator. It will be powering the ups system in our IT dept. The ups it will be feeding is a Axxium pro 18kva unit. Will also feed the phone system for our building. Thinking of a 60 kw genset powered by natural gas. Does one gen work better with electronics than another? 240 volt single phase.

charlie tuna

Re: Recomended generator

without knowing what the telephone load is you really can't determine the required size --- i would double your I.T. add the telephone load and use that figure. looks like your looking at a 50 kw??? you might consider a three phase unit?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: Recomended generator

Is the phone system on the UPS ? If not, I agree that you have to have that load figured also. Unless you have some high powered phone switch, I can't see that being more than a couple of kW if even that. A 60 kW gas genset will more than drive the 18 kVA UPS and both will be happy. Today's generators and UPS's work and play well better than they used to thanks to improvements in technology. Used to be the general rule of thumb was triple the UPS size to get the genset size when using nat. gas or LP and double it for diesel. I'd bring your UPS supplier and genset supplier all to the table together and hammer out the sizing so that all are happy and then get it in writing.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.