Recommend me a large format printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Can anyone recommend a good printer for 18” to 48” wide paper? And a source for the paper you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
For permanent use? Or an infrequent need? If infrequent, FedEx printing centers have BIG printers (with matching prices). And an assortment of papers to pick from.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I've used HP wide format printers for quite a few years and were generally pleased with them, although I haven't used their current models. 44" seems to be the maximum width that is readily available, such as in their T1700, Z6, or Z9 models.

This site seems to have quite a bit of info about wide format printers:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
For permanent use? Or an infrequent need? If infrequent, FedEx printing centers have BIG printers (with matching prices). And an assortment of papers to pick from.

We’ve been using a local print shop for years, but the price has climbed up to where I think we’re spending far more than it would cost to own the printer. Even at $2k for a printer, it’d pay for itself in less than six months. I’d like to look at the cost of paper and ink to see what savings can be realized. There is also a convenience factor of not having to drive across town to the print shop.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Brant, I have seen allot of printers sitting in offices with dust covers over the years, it takes a good printer repair person to keep them going.
If you have a good relationship with a printer service person I would see if they have anything used for sale.
My local print and copy place just closed permanently I am now in the same boat of having to drive across town to their other location, or bum off our architect whom is closer.
He has a Konica Minolta bizhub C258 in his home office, it may not be as large format as you want but for me the laser is great because if the field guys spill their coffee or get them damp they dont run.
Our local plans dept accepts plans as small as ledger 11X17 and apprentices and J man find plans less intimidating when I print a zoom in viweport of their work area.
So I am going to switch to just 11X17 in house and everything else at the copy shop.
Cheers

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For 11x17 epson has some affortable options. I have an Epson ET 4500, eco tank, uses large ink tanks, great quality. I just got a WF 7710 scans and prints 12 x 18, but its not an eco tank model, but was $179. An eco tank model is avaiable, but I am going to covert to refillable tanks. The WF7720 has 2 paper drawers. Good choice if you will do a lot of 11x17.
I gave away my hp laser jet.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Brant, I have seen allot of printers sitting in offices with dust covers over the years, it takes a good printer repair person to keep them going.

Maintenance is definitely a consideration. It is convenient to not have to worry about keeping a printer operational.

As for sizes, I prefer printing in Arch D and Arch E sizes. The drawings we typically work off are highly detailed with lots of small print; 11x17 makes those tough to read.

We usually end of with three sizes on a job. The A-sheets are 24x36, the civil drawings are usually 36x48, and the decor sheets are 11x17. I try to extract only what is necessary for us to keep the page count down; E-sheets, elevations, wall details and finish details. I leave the P sheets out, and only print the M sheet equipment schedule. Even so, it runs about $100 per job to print, and we turn a lot of projects.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My office uses an Oce Plotwave 340 PS and it has two drawers. Price? You might want to sit down...

Available for as low as $7,500. MSRP is $13,000 to $29,725, depending on options. You'll want to lease one of these, not buy it. Lease usually comes with some kind of maintenance package, and the monthly fee is usually easier to manage.

PaulMmn

Occupation
For 11x17 epson has some affortable options. I have an Epson ET 4500, eco tank, uses large ink tanks, great quality. I just got a WF 7710 scans and prints 12 x 18, but its not an eco tank model, but was $179. An eco tank model is avaiable, but I am going to covert to refillable tanks. The WF7720 has 2 paper drawers. Good choice if you will do a lot of 11x17.
I gave away my hp laser jet.
I have the Brother MFC-J6935DW. It's a semi-pro/commercial printer that I'm using as my home printer.

It's a 'full-function' device-- print, scan, copy. Probably does fax if you talk nice to it. It's also big; about a 2' cube. Ink is relatively inexpensive, but it's not an eco tank; they call it "Inkvestment." Not sure if that means you have to invest in an ink factory or not!

It has 3 paper feeds-- I have tray 1=11x17, 2 = 8-1/2x11, 'bypass' feed in the back is legal, 8-1/2x14. Interesting is that because it prints 11x17, when it prints letter it prints 'sideways--' the ink jets move up and down the page.

Prints double sided. scans double sided.

I have it set up using WIFI instead of a network connection, and it works adequately for my needs.

Todd0x1

I have a freestanding 11x17 color copier / printer / scanner I picked up used for next to nothing. Aftermarket toners for it are really cheap. It has a stapler too which comes in handy when printing out manuals and such. I also have a designjet 800ps I picked up used too. That thing is really tempermental because I don't use it enough. Heads and cartridges keep going bad. I would not recommend owning a large format inkjet if you arent going to be using it frequently.

PaulMmn

Occupation
That's really the sum of it. If you're not using it much, it's probably not worth owning. Same as a bucket truck or a trencher.
Of course, if you own it, it's always available...

Problem with infrequent use of inkjet printers is the ink jets clog with dried ink. I've discovered that after-market inks tend to be worse as far as clogs. Because I don't print that much, I've been sticking to brand-name inks, which usually don't mind being shut down for longer periods.

Of course, most printers run through a 'cleaning cycle' if you leave them on and idle long enough, so that probably keeps the jets open.

Status
Not open for further replies.