Recommendations for direct burial for AC run

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykee

AC conductors that need to carry 330a from a ground mount install AC combiner to be trenched to an outdoor disconnect. I'm leaning towards 500mcm Use-2 wire but looking for a few opinions. Thanks.

pcanning87

USE-2 is fine for your application. For ampacity, 500MCM copper would be fine but I would go with 600MCM aluminum. I typically look at the 75 degree rating (with no temp correction) and the 90 degree rating (with temp correction) and use the lower of the two values.

AC conductors that need to carry 330a from a ground mount install AC combiner to be trenched to an outdoor disconnect. I'm leaning towards 500mcm Use-2 wire but looking for a few opinions. Thanks.

For direct bury you would be looking at USE-2. Personally I dont like direct burying unless you have sandy or clay soil with no rocks. Another option would be Tray cable. The tray cable we have been using is rated for direct bury and has a real thick tough outer jacket and seems to be tougher than USE. I would use aluminum, either 600 or parallel 4/0.

andykee

Thanks for the insight Gents. The ground is clay so looking like a USE-2 and just take it nice and slow. Electrofelon, I am curious about the tray cables, any good sources so I can check them out?

Thanks for the insight Gents. The ground is clay so looking like a USE-2 and just take it nice and slow. Electrofelon, I am curious about the tray cables, any good sources so I can check them out?

Check with your supply house, and maybe check a few others. It surprises me how many supply houses dont seem to have the ability, willingness, desire, or connections to order less common conductors and cables such as colors, special sizes, etc. Priority wire and cable is a good vendor we have used. We have been using 5 wire tray cables for three phase systems. Some of ours are even special mill runs because of a larger sized EGC required because of upsizing due to voltage drop. Not sure what your lengths are, but it was no problem to get a special mill run of 1000' - special egc size, BOY colors and all.

BillK-AZ

I buy type TC Tray Cable from Anixter Wire & Cable. Locations across the country, see anixter.com

Status
Not open for further replies.