Recommendations for fluorescent lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

robster66

I have an area about 27' x 70' that I need to light up. The ceiling is "V" shaped sloping from about 10' to 16' along the length (35' up, 35' down). The area will be used primarily for storage/warehousing and is not air conditioned. I am trying to figure out how much light I need as well as determine what type of fixtures would be most cost effective.

Just to get an idea of what is readily available, I was looking at Home Depot's website and they have 4 bulb 32W T8 fixtures in standard and high bay. The high bay are about double the price, but if they use the same bulbs, what is the difference? None of them mention start temperatures.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have an area about 27' x 70' that I need to light up. The ceiling is "V" shaped sloping from about 10' to 16' along the length (35' up, 35' down). The area will be used primarily for storage/warehousing and is not air conditioned. I am trying to figure out how much light I need as well as determine what type of fixtures would be most cost effective.

Just to get an idea of what is readily available, I was looking at Home Depot's website and they have 4 bulb 32W T8 fixtures in standard and high bay. The high bay are about double the price, but if they use the same bulbs, what is the difference? None of them mention start temperatures.

I would go with T-5 HO fixtures you will get more light per fixture and they will start in cold temperature I believe -20F but not 100% ,The rating could be 0 F as well.

Also you will not have to buy as many fixtures because of the light output.

Welcome to the forum enjoy......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
High bay fluorescents put out a whole lot more light. A lot of it has to do with chrome reflectors that intensify the light.

robster66

Would high bay lights be good for this ceiling height?

I looked at some of the T5HO, but they look rather pricey. I was hoping there was a T8 solution that would work. Reliable starting down to 0 F would be great, but it only occasionally goes below 20 F here.

TNBaer

I could work up a layout for you but I'd need to know if there is shelving in the space. The ceiling is a little low for highbays and my calculations say a total of 12 8' 4 Lamp T8 industrial hoods will do the trick and get you an average of 50 FC. That's six fixtures in two rows. Of course, one of the benefits of T5 highbays is longer lamp life on an occupancy sensor. In a warehouse application sensors are really nice, unless you can get the industrial hoods with a program start ballast, which will be difficult to find.

robster66

I plan to add shelving all along one long wall and probably part of the other long wall as well. It will be approximately 4' deep and as high as I can get. The rafters run parallel to the short walls, so I would want the fixtures the same way so they are easily installed.

Electric-Light

Most T8s start down to 0F, some down to -20F.

T8 standard fixture:
Lamps driven to 87% output on brand name ballasts. Some cheapo China made ones drive them anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0.

T8 high-bay:
employs specular reflector and lamps are driven to 1.15 to 1.18 high BF ballast. Not intended for use for general lighting with low ceiling due to glare.

Lamp output is the lumen on lamp package times the BF, which you'll have to follow what i said above, or you'll have to call the manufacturer of fixture to find out.

If it gets quite hot where the fixture will be mounted, I would go with T5 HO. If it gets really hot,spec T5HO Amalgam.

T5HO amalgam is not as temperature independent as HIDs, but its as close as it gets for now that's commercially available. T5HO ballasts are 1.0 factor unless stated otherwise.

Amalgam lamps are harder to find and cost more, but in high temp applications, they're worthwhile.
They work with any T5HO fixture, but the downside is that they take longer to reach full output compared to standard T5HO.

Look at pages 6 and 11 (PDF page, not page shown on paper)

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...rary/literature/Metalux/ACF092055_IndFluo.pdf

When it comes to heat, LEDs are the worst. Not only do they suffer reduced output, the elements suffer from accelerated permanent degradation.

Last edited:

TNBaer

If you're only going to have shelving against the wall, two rows of six fixtures will certainly do the trick. You're looking at about $80 per fixture with lamps and hangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.