reconnecting after service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesjax

the inspector showed up on the job as we were starting the service increase. he looked up at the pole and asked me why i had the utility company JEA (jacksonville electric authority) disconnect the incomming power line from the pole. I explained to him that the lineman did because we have to relocate the drop.

he told me that all i have to do is to tap onto the utility wire and run a number six accross the roof. it was my responsibility to reconnect the power.

i am just wondering if this is the norm. i have always in the past thirty years called the utility co to disconnect and reconnect their wires. it has never been an issue.

i declined to do this as the service drop is un fused, will put me and or my helpers at extreme risk, and i can't imagine what my workers comp would go up to. i really can not imagine what would happen if the number six laying on roof was hit by lighning, or any number of senarios.

any thoughts

zog

Re: reconnecting after service upgrade

Sound like you did the right thing, let JEA handle it, I am guessing your guys are not qualified to move those line anyhow and the inspector should know better.

If they wont do it call Industrial electric, thier guys can do it for you also.

BruceH

I'm confused about running the #6 across the roof? Why is this?

charlie

I have some real serious doubts about this inspector especially since 230.24(A) must be complied with. I am guessing that one of the exceptions would apply but you would still need 18" of clearance under the best of conditions. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Around here we always disconnect and reconnect on a service upgrade. If we want the POCO to do it for us they usually charge about $175. Besides we would have to wait for them to disconnect and reconnect. This could literally take hours of waiting time. Usually the HO doesn't want his power off for any longer than it has to be.

jeff43222

I always disconnect and reconnect the POCO's wires. POCO will do it for free, but you have to schedule it with them. It's easier for me to do it.

Once the new service passes inspection, POCO comes out and removes my temp wiring if I moved the location of the service, then makes a permanent connection to their wires.

stud696981

Around here we disconnect and reconnect ourselves. The POCO usually changes the connectors on the drop at a later date.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The OSHA rules do not permit the electrical contractor's employees to disconnect and reconnect the service while it is energized.
Don

[ February 01, 2006, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

jonesjax

I agree totally with Don. yes I used to be a lineman but that is why am not one now, working with utility power that has no fuse is like driving without breaks one day your going to get burned.

By the way the number 6-3 was to provier temp power from the old srev drop to the new location.

O.k. back to the subject who out there can tell me what your w/c cost and what type of work can you perform for that rate. I have always been a lone ranger no employees i am 52 now and need help. i was told by my insurance carrier it cost more whaen you get on a ladder inside, more if you go into the attic, more if you use a ladder outside and quote "you don't even want to know what it cost to go onto a roof". he explained it will be the same as if i where a roofer. i think i remember something like $55.00 per hundered and that is with no claims.

Now I live in jax fl n.e.fl to be exact. i know for a fact that if someone gets hurt and they will, and your insurance carrier does not have you covered for that exact item. and don't think he won't tell on you because when you loose your tottal income from your family you go into survival mode, you will be responsible for everything. you will most likely go to jail even if it to just get booked for oncomming charges. loose your license etc.

they say you can't succed withou taking chances but don't do it when it comes to your or your employee's life.

I plan to fight this as it appears now that the city inspector has told me what and how to do it does that mean that the city will be responsible for any injuries. this also will take me out of the serv chg buis because i won't be able to compete with my fellow contractor's who appaently do this daily.

well lets see where this goes.....I know i can't spell i don't have a sexxy terri either, iether i don't know...

lazorko

Don - Perhaps the utility companies should catch up to OSHA regs. In Phila area, the electrical contractor is responsible for disconnecting and reconnecting service taps - only on an underground will utility schedule the disconnect. That can be a wait of several months!

realolman

The POCO used to do it around here for free...

They have been "right sizing " their workforce and contracting out. Now they charge you for it and it's OK to do it yourself. That was never the case before.

It's like everything else:

safety first
as long as it doesn't cost too much.

peter d

As long as the utilities insist and/or allow electricians to cut and reconnect service drops, the OSHA rules will be violated. :(

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
As long as the utilities insist and/or allow electricians to cut and reconnect service drops, the OSHA rules will be violated. :(
That depends Pete.

If someone like electricmanscott is doing the work no OSHA rules are broken, if I do it OSHA rules are violated.

peter d

Originally posted by iwire:
If someone like electricmanscott is doing the work no OSHA rules are broken, if I do it OSHA rules are violated.
OK, I'll buy that. But what rules protect the safety of the small contractor? :(

realolman

Originally posted by peter d:
OK, I'll buy that. But what rules protect the safety of the small contractor? :(
I would say he's pretty much on his own.

Up until a year or so ago there was no statewide building code in Pennsylvania. (and no, I'm not talking about OSHA ;) ).

While there was plenty of flowery rhetoric regarding safety to go around, I believe a large part of the impetus behind that was to squeeze out small contractors and DIYs.

I think the one guy's tag line said it all... All the security of self employment with the prestige of blue collar work.

Add to that - the safety of hooking up to public utilities hot.

I guess he'll just have to not do what he thinks is unsafe... which will help him along toward extinction.

Let's see extinction on one hand... evaporation on the other... wonder if Home Depot is hiring?

[ February 19, 2006, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: realolman ]

We don't perform many service upgrades but this is our experience: Our POCO, PG&E, would come out in the morning, disconnect, we would have our inspection set for 12pm to 2pm, PG&E would come back at 3 or later and re-connect after they looked at what we call a meter release (inspection sign-off). That was a few years. Now, the customer can go without power for 2 weeks if we don't do our own reconnects. Now the AHJ's fax over the signed-off permit to PG&E and then they come out in about a week or more and change our temp. reconnect. It's a mess. This is in the area of Silicon Valley south of San Francisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.