recpt on emergency power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Rae

i'm installing a 30 amp twist lock L6-30 on emergency power source. the recpt. does not come in red. can i paint the 1900 cover red or i'll take suggestions. maybe label the cover???

kevinware

Re: recpt on emergency power

My two cents is I would label it, it looks better and you could effect the fault path if it is a steel box with a steel cover110.12(C). Lets see what other post say.......

[ August 10, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

GG

Mike Holts understanding the NEC vol. 2 on page 70 shows a receptacle supplied by the emergency system where the recp. and the cover are white, but the recp. has what looks to be a red label on it. So I would say that labeling the recp. is fine as far as the code is concerned. Take a look at 517.30(E).

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

If you have the money and time, purchase a non-standard red plate from the factory. Hubbell wiring Devices actually lists a RED nylon plate in their catalog (P720R).

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by Jeff Rae:
i'm installing a 30 amp twist lock L6-30 on emergency power source. the recpt. does not come in red. can i paint the 1900 cover red or i'll take suggestions. maybe label the cover???
I have to point out that if this is truly an Article 700 emergency system you can only feed equipment that is required by codes.

You can not add convenience outlets to an Article 700 system.

700.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article apply to the electrical safety of the installation, operation, and maintenance of emergency systems consisting of circuits and equipment intended to supply, distribute, and control electricity for illumination, power, or both, to required facilities when the normal electrical supply or system is interrupted.
Emergency systems are those systems legally required and classed as emergency by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction. These systems are intended to automatically supply illumination, power, or both, to designated areas and equipment in the event of failure of the normal supply or in the event of accident to elements of a system intended to supply, distribute, and control power and illumination essential for safety to human life.
If the item that plugs into that outlet is not described above it will be a violation painted or not.

sandsnow

Ditto what Bob said. Check your local building and fire codes for required emergency loads. The code will give a time and anything other than 10 seconds IS NOT emergency.
60 seconds is legally required standby and again check the building and fire codes.
There may have been a trade off for some kind of performance based design or variance during plan check. This may trigger emrgency or legally required power.
Anything else is optional standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.