Rectangular MC cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukeantz

My dad has been around a while and was telling me that about 15-20 years ago a vendor was trying to push this new mc that was rectangular .. He thinks corra clad made it. He says that it had a very tight bending radius and that you only needed to score it with your knife to cut it.

Anyway we have had a long argument about this even involving the guys at the local supply house, he even went as far to call corra-clad to ask them. They didn't remember it.

So does anyone remember this stuff? I'm sure it did exist but we cannot find anything on it.

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I recall the product, but then again, I recall TW and knob & tube :D
"MC Square" or "MC Squared" as I recall was the trade name. I thought by Southwire but I'm not sure.
If I remember, the primary advantage was that the outer jacket, being a continuous metal sheath, was an acceptable grounding means
They also claimed it pulled easily and was easily terminated using the method you mentioned to remove the armor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How did you strap it? Did they actually make square straps to fit it?

I'd like to see the connectors too?

same way you strap "regular" MC, SE or NM. Drive a nail and bend it to fit :D

(I don't recall the approved strapping method)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I think I would secure it using square nails.

hey come to think of it, staples are square

Last edited by a moderator:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My dad has been around a while and was telling me that about 15-20 years ago a vendor was trying to push this new mc that was rectangular .. He thinks corra clad made it. He says that it had a very tight bending radius and that you only needed to score it with your knife to cut it.

Anyway we have had a long argument about this even involving the guys at the local supply house, he even went as far to call corra-clad to ask them. They didn't remember it.

So does anyone remember this stuff? I'm sure it did exist but we cannot find anything on it.

Thanks
I wonder if the "square" aspect of it is wrong. There was an MC that was a solid jacket that looked really pretty and could be bent to almost a ninety. It did not have a neutral. Rosendin Electric tested it in a building, it was a high rise in Oakland California City Center. The story I heard was that the connectors caused several pincehes and cuts of the wire insulation, and there were so many shorts that the idea was abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.