recycling flourescent lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

na112233

I'm concerned about people just throwing used lamps in the landfill. I recently downloaded some information on that subject for my boss who called me a "tree hugger" ( suggesting that I was an extremist and it didn't matter); when I told him I wasn"t throwing a bunch of flourescent lamps in the dumpster and would find someone to recycle them properly. Worse, he sent this message to the owner by discounting me in front of him---consequently, the owner trashed dozens while we were off site before I could show him the information. Does anyone else care about this problem? I think electricians need to be made more aware of this sort of thing--Like the old PCB issue.

peter d

Re: recycling flourescent lamps

It's illegal to dispose of mercury filled lamps simply by throwing them into the regular (ie non hazardous) waste stream.

That said, many people break the law and it's rarely enforced as well.

wildman

One of my many jobs as an indusrial electrician is the replacement of lamps in fixtures...all incandescent lamps are disposed of in the trash!
All other lamps (fluorescent,mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, etc.) must be recycled! These lamps are transported to a special building where they are stored in drums/boxes labeled spent lamps/hazardous material! Each drum/box must have a start and stop date as to when the first and last lamp was installed! When box/drum is full, a stop date is written on drum/box and sealed! A fee for each bulb is assessed when recycle company comes to pick up lamps....(example..50 cents per each fluorescent lamp) All broken lamps must be stored in a seperate container labeled "broken lamps"...the fee assessed on broken lamps is per pound! The bottom line, several thousand dollars a month is spent on recycling these lamps! It is required by the government and fines will be imposed for not following guidelines! As to an individual disposing 2 fluorescent lamps in the trash can at home...I do not believe it is legal, but it would be very hard to police! btw...we also recycle the environmentally safe "green tip" fluorescent lamps....fee is the same....go figure!!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by wildman:
btw...we also recycle the environmentally safe "green tip" fluorescent lamps....fee is the same....go figure!!!
I was under the impression the the green-tip tubes were merely energy-efficient, not eco-friendly.

peter d

Originally posted by LarryFine:
[I was under the impression the the green-tip tubes were merely energy-efficient, not eco-friendly.
The green tip lamps, which is actually a trademark of Philips, have a lower mercury content than "regular" fluorescent lamps. They still contain mercury nonetheless and must be handled in a proper manner. All of the major manufacturers have low mercury content lamps in the common configurations.

iwire

Staff member

Pete if it makes you feel better any good sized project we do that involves removing lamps and ballasts we recycle.

We are just wrapping up a job replacing about 5,500 ballasts and 11,000 F96/T12s.

All the ballasts got palletized and all the lamps got boxed and picked up by a recycler.

We are also removing the approx. two hundred fifty 400 watt HID fixtures in many of the S&S stores, those lamps are also being boxed and recycled.

peter d

Originally posted by iwire:
Pete if it makes you feel better any good sized project we do that involves removing lamps and ballasts we recycle.
:cool: :cool:

The way I see it, if you dump 5000 lamps in a hole in the ground and cover it with dirt, sooner or later all that mercury is going to seep into the groundwater. I know modern landfills collect the waste water and treat it, but I don't think we can rely on that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.