red ideal wing nut price

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

i was in the blue store tonight and i needed to grab some red ideal wing nuts. (i rarely need them, a box lasts me a year) a box of 100 was $10. Then there were jars of 300 for $12.49, and a jar of 250 yellow was $28 or something. i figured it must be a mistake so i bought 2 :grin:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wireguru said:
i figured it must be a mistake so i bought 2 :grin:
Now you have a 2-year's supply. You could have purchased a bag of 500 (yellow or red) from Sunstar Lighting for $12.00. Sometimes they have a promo and you can buy 3 bags and get one free. I bought 4 bags on promo about 4 years ago. I still have about 150 reds left.

sbrn33

Don't confuse those cheap pieces of crap that sunstar sells to the true red, yellows and tans. I bought a bunch of the cheap tans awhile back, the whole time thinking "this is great, these are half price". The cheapies are still sitting around because the guys flat out just won't use them and truthfully I don't blame them.

Wire nuts

Wire nuts

I have been using a 3M wirenut product here at the hospital and I think they are supberb! They are made with a hard plastic top ,flexible plastic bottom and come in two tone colors. Just a great product! They are manufactured here in the United States and that has something to do with it as well.:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree about cheap w'nuts. I have some reds that I have to intentionally leave sharp edges on the trimmed wires so they'll screw on. It's as if the inside of the spring was a smooth cone. They're impossible to thread onto stranded wires.

P.S. When you have to, you can get three #12s in a yellow. :roll:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
sbrn33 said:
Don't confuse those cheap pieces of crap that sunstar sells to the true red, yellows and tans. I bought a bunch of the cheap tans awhile back, the whole time thinking "this is great, these are half price". The cheapies are still sitting around because the guys flat out just won't use them and truthfully I don't blame them.
Believe me, I wasn't into using the cheap wire nuts until my local supply house bagged me (no pun intended) $35.00 for a 500/ct bag of Ideal small orange wire nuts. I've been using the Sunstar brand ever since but I use the ones with the wings. They bite down on the wire and don't pull off. Am I missing something ? Aside from being cheap please explain why your guys are not using these connectors. Thanks

ultramegabob

I dont have a clue what these guys are talking about saying that sunstars wirenuts are junk, the only valid point anyone has made is that they are not American made...

peter d

goldstar said:
Aside from being cheap please explain why your guys are not using these connectors. Thanks

A few reasons. I have always liked Ideal, and probably always will. Ideal wirenuts just have a certain feel to them that I like that the other brands don't, including the other American brands like GB and 3M.

One thing I noticed about the Sunstar wirenuts is that the plastic is soft and pliable. I've removed them and seen that they actually flattened out where they were stuffed into box or behind a canopy.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Peter D said:
One thing I noticed about the Sunstar wirenuts is that the plastic is soft and pliable. I've removed them and seen that they actually flattened out where they were stuffed into box or behind a canopy.
Peter, I can't say that I've come across that. I'm actually sitting here squeezing a yellow wirenut with my blue Klien pliers and can't smash the yellow coating. However, if that is what you've found then I would say that's an legitimate reason for not using that brand. Are you sure it was the Sunstar brand and not one of those cheapies that are packed with a custom light fixture ?

peter d

iwire said:
Maybe I just do not care to provide them more free advetising.

I just don't really see the difference between saying "The blue store" and "Lowes." It's pretty obvious what "the blue store" means by now.

As for advertising angle, I'm not really sure that mentioning the DIY stores is giving them free advertising. I'd like to think most of us are DIY's when it comes to our homes and probably frequent those stores. I know I do. :D

peter d

goldstar said:
Are you sure it was the Sunstar brand and not one of those cheapies that are packed with a custom light fixture ?

The "cheapies" that come with light fixtures and the Sunstar ones appear to be identical. They both have a symbol on them that looks like a big fat "H" which is some kind of manufacturers identification.

At any rate, I've encountered the flattening problem with Sunstar's tan version. They may well have fixed that problem by using a harder plastic now. At any rate, this was a while back and after I saw how soft and cheap they were I pretty much swore them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.