Red label for Seal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a red label required to be installed after compound has been poured in seal off. If so can someone reference address in code. If not I appreciate the help.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Basically is there a red label requirement showing each seal off compound poured? Customer claims it's not code if not labeled.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Basically is there a red label requirement showing each seal off compound poured? Customer claims it's not code if not labeled.
it is not a requirement. It has been common practice to paint, unpoured seals, yellow, and then red after pours, but it is not a requirement.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here the ones that have been poured are marked with green paint. No code rule, but sometimes in the project specs.

Bill Snyder

NEC expert
Occupation
Electrical Foreman
I would have never imagined gas could travel through a cable but that would only be required in a classified location. If the other end of the cable is installed in an unclassified location no seal is required.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would have never imagined gas could travel through a cable but that would only be required in a classified location. If the other end of the cable is installed in an unclassified location no seal is required.
I'm not quite sure what your comment intends.

Section 501.15 IN No 2 addresses the concerns about the ability of gases to travel through cables - and even through the conductor interstices themselves.

Specific sealing requirements for various cable constructions are listed in Sections 501.15(D) and (E). A few of the Subsections are useless since no NRTL will certify any cable as “Cables Incapable of Transmitting Gases or Vapors” or “Cables That Do Not Transmit Gases or Vapors” except MI which already has its own unique installation requirements.[Section 501.10(A)(3)]

cowski

Occupation
Engineer
it is not a requirement. It has been common practice to paint, unpoured seals, yellow, and then red after pours, but it is not a requirement.
This is interesting. Does anyone have photos? Do you paint the whole fitting? Or just a red / yellow ring around it? Is there a 'standard'?

We've been putting on a little dinky label that says "seal poured". It's kind of an issue - it's not obvious from the outside if the seal is poured, and you wouldn't want to open one that is. I guess you can check if the plugs are finger tight.

Does anyone worry about the seals cracking when the machines are shipped? Our machines flex a little when they are lifted up. We have to take off encoders otherwise our coupling shafts will be broken. I worry about the material inside the seals getting cracked when everything flexes. But our customers certainly prefer when we pour the seals for them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is interesting. Does anyone have photos? Do you paint the whole fitting? Or just a red / yellow ring around it? Is there a 'standard'?

We just spray some green paint on the part of the fitting with the plug you screw back in after pouring the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.