Reduced neutral line to industrial machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

collins

I have a power enclosure with a 208/120V input. The pumps are 208v 3ph and require 200amps.
The 120V is tapped off of the 3 hot legs to power a 24vdc power supply and 2 heaters. The power supply draws 3amps and each heater draws 10amps.
Is there a section of the NEC that allows for a reduced neutral drop to the machine or does it need to match the 3 hot legs at 4/0?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The grounded condutor minimum size is the larger of what is required by 215.2(A)(1) or 220.61. In this case I would expect that the rule in 215 would apply.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a power enclosure with a 208/120V input. The pumps are 208v 3ph and require 200amps.
The 120V is tapped off of the 3 hot legs to power a 24vdc power supply and 2 heaters. The power supply draws 3amps and each heater draws 10amps.
Is there a section of the NEC that allows for a reduced neutral drop to the machine or does it need to match the 3 hot legs at 4/0?

Are your pump motors 3ph? Do they require a neutral for anything related to them? Does the power enclosure have a main OCPD? If so, what size is it? I don't think you need the neutral sized the same as your pump motor conductors but need more information to be sure.

raider1

Staff member
Article 220.61 addresses your issue. It appears that in your situation reduction of the neutral is not permitted.

BILLY

I disagree.

215.2(A)(1) deals with sizing feeder neutrals.

215.2 Minimum Rating and Size.
(A) Feeders Not More Than 600 Volts.
(1) General.........The size of the feeder circuit
grounded conductor shall not be smaller than that required
by 250.122, except that 250.122(F) shall not apply where
grounded conductors are run in parallel.
Additional minimum sizes shall be as specified in
215.2(A)(2) and (A)(3) under the conditions stipulated.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
When you look at his description: pumpS (plural), heaters, 24v power supply, etc., it's difficult to imagine a scenario with no OCP devices.

collins

I am assuming that the control panel at the macine contains overcurrent devices and that the supply is a feeder.

Chris

Our machine has a OCPD 200A and individual protection for each 3 ph pump motor. Would like to size the neutral to 4awg since the load on the neutral leg is less than 30A.

Status
Not open for further replies.