Reducing wire size without fusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

locklin

Where in NEC does it state that it is legal to reduce a run of #12 90 feet long to a 25 foot run of # 16 without fusing the #16 run at the point of reducing? Or is this practice ilegal?

kiloamp7

Re: Reducing wire size without fusing?

And what is the load it is serving?
Or is it a control ckt., etc,etc.

john m. caloggero

Locklin: See Section 240.5(B)(2)(2), Protection of Flexible Cords, Flexible Cables, and Fixture wires. You can tap No. 16 awg fixture wire to a No. 12 awg branch circuit conductor supplied by a 20A circuit. The No. 16 is allowed to be up to 100 ft in length. This is usually used for large chandeliers.

charlie

This was posted in another post by Locklin
Scenario..25A fuse on 12Volt garden lighting transformer feeds 90 feet of #12 cable. At end of the #12 a 25 ft piece of #16 cable is attached then buried under decorative bark or mulch. on the end of the #16 is a lamp varying from 10 to 50 Watt (12V). My question... What if a short occurs at the end of the #16 with no protection except the 25A at the beginning of the #12 run. Where in the code is this permitted? I can not find any thing. I believe this to be dangerous.

john m. caloggero

Charlie: 2005 NEC, Section 240.4(F) and commentary in the NFPA Handbook, also Section 240.21(C)(1). Where a single-phase transformer is used, the secondary conductors are allowed to be protected by the OCD on the primary of the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.