Refeed house from garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhojo

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Customer is enclosing a porch attached to house. He wants to get power from the detached garage since it would be much easier (cheaper) than trying to run from existing panel. I can't find anything in the code that says I can't but it doesn't seem right.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
So after this former porch is enclosed and becomes part of the house, one room will get power from the subpanel in the detached garage and every other room in the same structure will get power from the main panel in the house? Is that what you're asking?

If so, there's a one structure, one disconnect rule that prohibits it.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So after this former porch is enclosed and becomes part of the house, one room will get power from the subpanel in the detached garage and every other room in the same structure will get power from the main panel in the house? Is that what you're asking?

If so, there's a one structure, one disconnect rule that prohibits it.
Not to mention the headache for the next guy who has to troubleshoot the porch systems unaware of such wiring configuration.
(I know we're never concerned about the "next guy" if it meets minimum code)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Seems like (2017) 225.30 second paragraph allows the proposed configuration:

"Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to the original building or structure, unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E)."

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.