Refrigeration trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of my element, dude. I have been asked to supply power to this: 20190320_081333.jpg

Based on the name plate, i assumed this would need a 100 amp receptacle. Im now questioning this assumption. Something tells me I need to go roughly half that or less with time delay fuses to better protect the unit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
11.4 * 1.25 = about 16 amps, so a 20 amp circuit should work.

Just size the wire so the voltage drop isn't too much with the starting current.

But I wonder, is it OK to put this on a 480V circuit? I know 460 V is the utilization voltage for 480, but that says 440-460V?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Steve, the input current is 11.4 amps which is used to size the circuit not the starting current.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
ok now I am confused--it also says power consumption is 13.5kw

So taking that into account and using 480 volt I get 25 amps and since it is 3 phase divide by 1.73 is 16.call it 25 then a 20 amp breaker---
:dunce::ashamed1: oh h**l Yes that is the same as 11.4 times 125%-or close enough--never mind old timers disease strikes again:eek::happyno::huh:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So taking that into account and using 480 volt I get 25 amps and since it is 3 phase divide by 1.73 is 16.call it 25 then a 20 amp breaker---
I'd say 12 ga. wire, yes, but I bet a 20a breaker won't start the unit. I'd start at 30a, and you my need to go higher, maybe to 40a.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'd say 12 ga. wire, yes, but I bet a 20a breaker won't start the unit. I'd start at 30a, and you my need to go higher, maybe to 40a.

Is that allowed? I mean the breaker size be arbitrarily increased without increasing the wire size?

I know that is allowed if the unit lists a MOCP, but I don't see one listed for this unit, which seems weird.

I guess the 440-460V rating isn't a problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
See 240.4(D), which references 240.4(G), which references 440 parts III and IV.

Your reference to MOCP doesn't permit it, it merely saves you from calculating it.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Metrics are worthless

Metrics are worthless

Out of my element, dude. I have been asked to supply power to this: View attachment 22582

Based on the name plate, i assumed this would need a 100 amp receptacle. Im now questioning this assumption. Something tells me I need to go roughly half that or less with time delay fuses to better protect the unit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As long as we keep accepting these ridiculous labeling schemes they are going to waste our time and generate errors.
What exactly does " Input Loading Current " mean? This metric is nonsensical and off putting.
The following things are unacceptable and should be resisted violently:
Attempting to state BTU/hr ratings in watts
Not stating clearly RLA, and LRA figures
Not listing MOCP clearly
Using terms that are not easily transliterated to the English system without easy and obvious conversions offered
Being Forced into metrics in the USA when a handful of sane individuals realize what a bad idea this is.
Being forced to work with units of measure that do not make sense are are difficult to translate to those which do.
Just the fact that time is being spent on getting the correct interpretation is a commentary on how messed up our approach currently is.
The last thing we need to do is accept these kinds of metrics. We need to demand a Parallel labeling system that meets US Standards, and enforce it with an " Iron Hand."

As an aside. Seasoned HVAC Techs understand the danger of fusing 3 Phase motor loads that do not have some kind of very fast single phase protection, and circuit breakers are always preferred if possible.

kwired

Electron manager
As long as we keep accepting these ridiculous labeling schemes they are going to waste our time and generate errors.
What exactly does " Input Loading Current " mean? This metric is nonsensical and off putting.
The following things are unacceptable and should be resisted violently:
Attempting to state BTU/hr ratings in watts
Not stating clearly RLA, and LRA figures
Not listing MOCP clearly
Using terms that are not easily transliterated to the English system without easy and obvious conversions offered
Being Forced into metrics in the USA when a handful of sane individuals realize what a bad idea this is.
Being forced to work with units of measure that do not make sense are are difficult to translate to those which do.
Just the fact that time is being spent on getting the correct interpretation is a commentary on how messed up our approach currently is.
The last thing we need to do is accept these kinds of metrics. We need to demand a Parallel labeling system that meets US Standards, and enforce it with an " Iron Hand."

As an aside. Seasoned HVAC Techs understand the danger of fusing 3 Phase motor loads that do not have some kind of very fast single phase protection, and circuit breakers are always preferred if possible.
Some of what you mentioned can make one question if the unit is listed per any North American Standards.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
According to the manual (such as it is), the main wires are #10 inside of it, so I would not feed it with anything less than that. It has its own internal main breaker, so all you need is a feeder that will protect #10 wire, i.e. 30A.

https://gsdb.ds-navi.co.jp/rtb/service/multi/12_01.pdf

The info on the wire can be seen if you go to the "Stereoscopic wiring diagram" on page 30 of the PDF, increase the magnification and read the table on wire size codes, then look at the wires on the Main Circuit Breaker (wire code "C", 10AWG).

No UL listing, so no MOCP or proper nameplate data per our standards. If this is going to be inspected, good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.