Refrigerator in the diningroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve holt

Is it acceptable to install a refrigerator in the dining room even if the circuit is not one of the required small appliance circuits? It is my belief that 210.23 (A) (1) would govern here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you ran a 20 amp cir. or plugged into the SABC in the dining room there would be no issue. There is controversy on this one. The same issue was asked if a window a/c which required a 15 amp circuit could be installed in the dining room.

So is this unit being supplied with a 15 amp cir?

Cold Fusion

Is it acceptable to install a refrigerator in the dining room even if the circuit is not one of the required small appliance circuits? It is my belief that 210.23 (A) (1) would govern here.
Why would this be an NEC issue? I don't think there is anything stopping an owner from plugging in anything they want - anywhere they want.

cf

raider1

Staff member
Actually reading the exception #2 to 210.52(B)(1) would permit an individual 15 amp branch circuit to supply a refrigerator installed in the dining room.

Chris

Ragin Cajun

Comment: Since the 2008 NEC requires AFCI's nearly everywhere but the kitchen, you can't put a kitchen SABC ckt in the dining room.

My understanding is that you now need another dedicated AFCI circuit for the dining room instead of extending one or both of the kitchen SABC's to the dining room.

Did I interpret this correctly?

RC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Comment: Since the 2008 NEC requires AFCI's nearly everywhere but the kitchen, you can't put a kitchen SABC ckt in the dining room.

My understanding is that you now need another dedicated AFCI circuit for the dining room instead of extending one or both of the kitchen SABC's to the dining room.

RC

I think you are a bit confused. You can still extend the kitchen SABC into the dining room however it would have to be AFCI protected. There is nothing saying that you cannot use AFCI on SABC.

480sparky

RC

Why can't I put in a 20a AFCI breaker, and run an SABC to the dining room?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The above suggestions are of, but . . .

I am NOT a fan of AFCI's to begin with. I just can't see putting kitchen equipment on the @#$%^&* things.
JMHO.RC

I agree with you but you stated that you cannot wire the SABC to the dining room. That is incorrect in 2 ways. Even if it is a separate 20 amp cir to the dining room it is still a SABC. The second has already been commented on by two posters. :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
To further those points...the code tells you which circuits are required to be arc-fault protected. It does not prohibit you from protecting circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.