Registered Professional Engineer = Licensed Contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I'm not exactly sure where to post this. Mods, please move this to the appropriate forum if I have erred in my posting.

I have my PE in Ohio. I also work for a consulting engineering company.

The State of Ohio has the following license requirements that I found here:
The Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) issues State Licenses to Commercial Contractors for the following trades: Electrical, HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing, and Refrigeration. To receive a state license, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
*Be at least 18 years of age.
*Be a United States citizen or a legal alien-must provide proof of being a legal alien.
*Either have been a tradesperson in the type of licensed trade for which the application is filed for not less than five (5) years immediately prior to the date the application is filed, currently be a registered engineer in this state with three (3) years of business experience in the construction industry in the trade for which the engineer is applying to take the examination, or have other experience acceptable to the appropriate section of the board.
*Not have been convicted of or plead guilty to a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or of any felony.
*Pass the examination in the trade.
*Carry minimum $500,000 contractor liability coverage.
*Pay the applicable fees.

I've added emphasis to the section that I think would allow me to take become a licensed contractor, but is a consulting engineer considered "in the construction industry?"

Also, what is "the examination in the trade"?

Thanks!

Buck Parrish

"the examination" is a test you are required to get a miimum of 75% right. (written or computer) answeing of questions.

Last edited:

dkarst

That is the passing requirements, but does the test have a name? Thx

Don't know about your state but in MN the rule is "Applicants who have received a Bachelor?s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited
university or college qualify for the Class A master electrician and power limited technician examinations without being required to have any practical installation experience." I thought at some time a PE license was required as well.

I believe this means you can sit for the Class A Master's exam without the normal I think 60 months of experience.

You need to check with your state board.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'm not exactly sure where to post this. Mods, please move this to the appropriate forum if I have erred in my posting.

I've added emphasis to the section that I think would allow me to take become a licensed contractor, but is a consulting engineer considered "in the construction industry?"

Thanks!

here in the state of massachusetts you can read the boards rules here.http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocasubt...d+of+State+Examiners+of+Electricians&sid=Eoca

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Thanks!
I noticed you referred to your PE status and consulting work without any explicit reference to electrical-trade engineering or electrical-trade consulting. The 3 years of business experience must be in the electrical trade. You have to demonstrate 3 years of electrical-trade-related business experience. Though this is a construction-related license, the requirement—in its simple form anyway—does not state the work must be construction-related in nature... but I'm certain the "board" will let you know if it deems your electrical-trade-related business experience is not worthy to sit in on the test :D

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Thanks!

Call me @ xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will give you the name of the person at OCILB to talk to.
{Moderator's note: Removed phone number, for privacy reasons. Contact the member by PM to get the phone number.}

Last edited by a moderator:

lakee911

Call me @ xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will give you the name of the person at OCILB to talk to.
{Moderator's note: Removed phone number, for privacy reasons. Contact the member by PM to get the phone number.}

PM Sent.

...but I'm certain the "board" will let you know if it deems your electrical-trade-related business experience is not worthy to sit in on the test :D

I'm sure it will. I would think electrical and controls would, but it's mostly ''on paper.'' Engineers don't do much physical trade work...

Status
Not open for further replies.