regular LED medium base light bulb in a 3-way socket.Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bio mass

Occupation
Building Industry
Hello,
I'm having trouble finding good 3-way LEDs in my three-way lamp. the lamp is in the maximum setting ( third) all the time. We only shut off the light using a light switch on the wall. Meaning we never turn the light on at the socket.

I want to use a regular 150 W LED if I can find it. But I don't know if this is safe or recommended

does anyone know?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A regular bulb will work in a 3-way socket with no problem.

As for bulbs:

bio mass

Occupation
Building Industry
Why spend the money on a 3 way bulb if you don't use it. A standard bulb will work and is much cheaper.
Good point. The reason why I don't like the three-way, is that they are directional. I have a lamp beside a sofa and people read when sitting beside it. When the light is pointed up, it doesn't work so well.

I would use a 3-way filament LED, but I can't seem to find one anymore. Let alone shipping it to Canada. The 150 W filament seems to be easier to find.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good point. The reason why I don't like the three-way, is that they are directional. I have a lamp beside a sofa and people read when sitting beside it. When the light is pointed up, it doesn't work so well.

I would use a 3-way filament LED, but I can't seem to find one anymore. Let alone shipping it to Canada. The 150 W filament seems to be easier to find.
You can't get the first one I inked to where you are? Heck, I'll buy a couple and mail them to you if you like.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't know where you are in Ontario, but look at what I found:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/philips-philips-3-way-50w-100w-150w-soft-white/1001015360

14in Stock at Niagara Falls|Aisle 4, Bay 009
33in Stock atSt. Catharines|Aisle 8, Bay 011
3in Stock atHamilton Mountain|Aisle 5, Bay 011
20in Stock atHamilton|Aisle 5, Bay 012
61in Stock atBurlington|Aisle 8, Bay 013
23in Stock atOakville Burloak|Aisle 4, Bay 009
31in Stock atTrafalgar Village|Aisle 5, Bay 011
10in Stock atMississauga South|Aisle 8, Bay 012
6in Stock atMississauga Britannia|Aisle 5, Bay 013
24in Stock atMississauga West|Aisle 4, Bay 010

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
A 3 way socket has a second hot pin that touches along a wider part of the center button. The low setting simply causes the light to not turn on and medium and high will be just "on". It will be off, off, on, on. instead of off, A, B, A+B.

Your best bet is probably a 100 or 150 watt equivalent regular light bulb "look alike". If you look at the clear glass version of those, you will find LED rods suspended in the middle as if they're filaments. If you get the frosted version, it is visually indistinguishable from the old school light bulb. Those are gas cooled LED bulbs. The bulb is filled with a helium or hydrogen blend (don't worry.. it's not a flammable blend) instead of relying on thermally bonded heatsink.

Those are preferred over the more common bulbs, because the light distribution is more similar to a regular light bulb.

norcal

If you use a standard medium base lamp in a 3-way lampholder, one turn will not do anything if someone turns the knob, since the OP says they use a wall switch it really does not matter, use a standard lamp & save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.