Relay Panel Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Need a little help(see attached). Ok so with a lighting control panel the line voltage ckts come from the lighting panel into the relay panel. This is where I'm not clear. Do you have low voltage wiring thst goes form the relay panel out to the lights? I've seen drawing where it says" Lighting control panel Zone 3-1(corridor) so I'm assuming LV wiring is ran out to the lights but where would the LV terminated if the lights are line voltage? A power pack? Thanks

Attachments

• SCAN8415_000.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 6

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure exactly what kind of panel you have, or how it works, but generally the line voltage comes from a breaker in the electric panel, through the relay in your control panel, and to the light fixtures. So all teh wiring to the lights is line voltage.

The low voltage is usually for override switches and other controls.

mstrlucky74

Some more info. I think "to lighting loads" is the class 2 wiring but to where? Can't term at aline voltage. It would have to be some sort of power pack.

Attachments

• SCAN8418_000.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 3
  • SCAN8417_000.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello,

I have done several lighting control systems, The class 2 wiring will come from the building automation (DDC) controllers. This wiring is done by the controls contractor unless you have bid that part of the contract.

PJHolguin :cool:

Some more info. I think "to lighting loads" is the class 2 wiring but to where? Can't term at aline voltage. It would have to be some sort of power pack.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Need a little help(see attached). Ok so with a lighting control panel the line voltage ckts come from the lighting panel into the relay panel. This is where I'm not clear. Do you have low voltage wiring thst goes form the relay panel out to the lights? I've seen drawing where it says" Lighting control panel Zone 3-1(corridor) so I'm assuming LV wiring is ran out to the lights but where would the LV terminated if the lights are line voltage? A power pack? Thanks

The relay cabinets typically go in the electrical room adjacent to their respective light-power panels. An assumption on my part judging from cut sheet; no electrical plans to refer to.

Lighting-power circuits go in, and land on relay board terminals, lighting-load circuits come from other relay board terminals, leave the cabinet, and go to their respective luminaires. All line level.

There appears to be a Class 2 power source and control terminals on the control module in the relay cabinets [refer to low voltage area of scan 8415. Class 2 lighting control wiring runs between the relay cabinets and the 1-button station "located in electrical closet 105B" or other "stations" not in the picture [refer to middle of scan 8418].

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is similar to the design on page 2 of the attachment:

IMG_2020.JPG

Joe Villani

Based on a limited perspective of the drawings; no low voltage from the relay panel is needed to the lights.

It appears that the LCP (in this case) shuts down the lighting in the building at a preset time. The switch between the two LCPs is the override.

You would run load circuits (line voltage) from the individual relays in the LCP to the vacancy sensor, from the vacancy sensor to the switches in the room. (IF the switches are left in the "on" position, the vacancy sensor will shut the lights off)

The only time I typically see low voltage run to lighting fixtures is when the lights are specified with a 0-10v dimming ballast. There would be a photocell located in the room or area measuring daylight and the LCP will dim the light output through a dimming relay accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Joe Villani

mstrlucky74

Based on a limited perspective of the drawings; no low voltage from the relay panel is needed to the lights.

It appears that the LCP (in this case) shuts down the lighting in the building at a preset time. The switch between the two LCPs is the override.

You would run load circuits (line voltage) from the individual relays in the LCP to the vacancy sensor, from the vacancy sensor to the switches in the room. (IF the switches are left in the "on" position, the vacancy sensor will shut the lights off)

The only time I typically see low voltage run to lighting fixtures is when the lights are specified with a 0-10v dimming ballast. There would be a photocell located in the room or area measuring daylight and the LCP will dim the light output through a dimming relay accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Joe Villani

Thanks Joe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.