Reloc System Wiring Method (Voltage Drop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACP

I am working on a large Industrial "shell building" that consists of many LED highbay fixtures. On previous projects for this builder we've been using Lithonia Reloc cabling between fixtures. Between rows of lights, the starter box / branch wiring will be THHN cable in EMT conduit. Due to the size of the building to furthest row of lights will need to be #6awg due to voltage drop. My question is does the Reloc cabling leaving that starter box and then between each fixture have to be #6awg as well. Or is Reloc considered part of the fixture assembly and can therefore remain #12awg?

ron

You will need to do the voltage drop calculation for each segment of wiring to see if the #6 brought to the starter box / branch wiring will impose a voltage drop issue if the rest is left at #12AWG. The current running down between the fixtures for the length needed will tell you the answer.

ACP

You will need to do the voltage drop calculation for each segment of wiring to see if the #6 brought to the starter box / branch wiring will impose a voltage drop issue if the rest is left at #12AWG. The current running down between the fixtures for the length needed will tell you the answer.
Thanks Ron. That makes sense to confirm but that is assuming that it is in fact acceptable to downsize the Reloc cabling to #12awg. I cannot seem to find any articles noting that this is acceptable to do.
P.S - Hope you are staying safe and healthy in New York.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Your overcurrent protection will still be sized to protect the #12 (20A), so there is no reason to be concerned about it unless it is voltage drop related.
As ron said, if the segments of #12 are short enough (add up to a short enough contribution to the longest run) then they will not significantly affect the voltage drop. Be sure that you allow for mandatory EGC size increase when you spec out the #6awg segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.