Relocate Customer's Jacked Up Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
When providing power to a receptacle for a piece of equipment that a customer has electrically hacked up over time, would my responsibility typically stop at the receptacle? Or would I also be responsible for the equipment that the customer is plugging in? They claim it's worked fine for 15+ years.

My customer has a couple of lathes that they are relocating. These things are in major need of help.

Nameplate shows (from memory) 1.5HP; 115V/~22A; 240/~11A; 1 phase

These lathes have 125V/15A cord-cap plugs on them and have been plugged into a general purpose 120V/20A circuit for years. In the small control cabinet, the controls have all been bypassed at some point and the motor is simply controlled by a toggle switch directly... no overloads even exist. The motor doesn't appear to be thermally protected. So there's a flex cord from a plug to a switch, from the switch to the small cabinet which is jointed to a third cord directly to the motor. One of these flex cords is only 14 awg!!!

I have not brought this to the customer's attention yet, but need to make a decision tomorrow. I know this is wrong and that the machine needs to be rebuilt entirely with properly sized flexible cords, proper plug, probably an overload relay, etc... but under this time crunch, is the equipment my responsibility? In the long term, I will rebuild it if they'd like! But they are trying to be running by Monday and I have PLENTY of other things to do and don't have time to rebuild equipment at the moment. They say it's worked fine for 15 years. Do I just provide a 20A circuit with 15A duplex, as it's always been, and call it good? Just looking for opinions. Thanks! I can provide pictures if anyone's interested.

John120/240

It sounds like you have a plan. Is there any situation that would pose a shock hazard ?

If so, correct it. Otherwise state your concerns verbally & in writing fix it when time allows.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It sounds like you have a plan. Is there any situation that would pose a shock hazard ?

If so, correct it. Otherwise state your concerns verbally & in writing fix it when time allows.

I agree.

I have worked in places like this and you will never be able to fix everything let alone get paid for it.

Put your stuff in correctly and don't plug anything into your receptacle.

Also, get paid in cash an don't leave any fingerprints.

:p

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Your responsibility ends at the receptacle, you cannot control what they plug in, and if it has been that way for 15 years, there probably not going to change it now. (at least until they have a fire or somebody gets electrocuted) Just write it up and move on.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Your responsibility ends at the receptacle, you cannot control what they plug in, and if it has been that way for 15 years, there probably not going to change it now. (at least until they have a fire or somebody gets electrocuted) Just write it up and move on.

As an inspector I agree. I can't control whether you plug in a toaster or a lathe.

Thanks guys so much for the responses. I had the manager sign a handwritten liability release and went with a 15A duplex on a 20A circuit. I did, however, pull #10s... you know... just in case.

spark master

name plates are typically full load. he may never run fully loaded, and thus it'll run for another 17 years. Or he only runs it for short periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.