Relocate Pull Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Just curious, what would take place in relocating this. I know there are many variables/factors but I'll try to give parameters. So the system will go into alarm as soon as the wires are removed correct? They are saying the system needs to remain on-line during the relocate. How would that happen if the system will go into a trouble or alarm? They will take that one device off line if it's addressable? I guess a tech would need to be present?

1. Existing large office space(10k sq ft) with other devices nearby on same loop.
2. It's a stub up with cable free-air run above ceiling.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Just curious, what would take place in relocating this. I know there are many variables/factors but I'll try to give parameters. So the system will go into alarm as soon as the wires are removed correct? They are saying the system needs to remain on-line during the relocate. How would that happen if the system will go into a trouble or alarm? They will take that one device off line if it's addressable? I guess a tech would need to be present?

1. Existing large office space(10k sq ft) with other devices nearby on same loop.
2. It's a stub up with cable free-air run above ceiling.
You'll have to put the facp in test mode. You would want to call the alarm Central Monitoring Center before doing it.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

First of all, check current condition of fire alarm; how many current troubles there are, if any, to restore to same condition after relocation.
Place system on test or have authorized person do it.
Depending on type of pull station FACP might not go into alarm but trouble when pull station is removed and any device that may come after pull station. System will be temporarily in trouble while the relocation is performed, it's normal. This should not be an issue unless the work is not completed the same day, though it should not take the whole day to do.
One of the conditions is no splicing therefore you would have to replace cable coming from previous device and going to next device if your current cable does not reach. Once the wiring has been completed and device(s) has/have been connected back, system should go back to its original condition.
You should test device just to make sure it's working at 100%.
If all is well and everything restored you can take system off test mode.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You'll have to put the facp in test mode. You would want to call the alarm Central Monitoring Center before doing it.

That's a start. Note that splices are not allowed. You'll have to rough in the new location and pull conductors back to the device ahead of the existing pull station and also run from the new location to the next device. If they want the same physical pull station reused, you should move it after the conductors and back box are installed and then make the connection at the previous device in the loop. Demo out the old back box, cable, and raceway (if any). The critical period will be when you take the existing device out of the circuit. To keep the loop on line, you may want to temporarily connect the cable in the existing back box. Details will depend on whether this is conventional or addressable, Class A or B.

mstrlucky74

First of all, check current condition of fire alarm; how many current troubles there are, if any, to restore to same condition after relocation.
Place system on test or have authorized person do it.
Depending on type of pull station FACP might not go into alarm but trouble when pull station is removed and any device that may come after pull station. System will be temporarily in trouble while the relocation is performed, it's normal. This should not be an issue unless the work is not completed the same day, though it should not take the whole day to do.
One of the conditions is no splicing therefore you would have to replace cable coming from previous device and going to next device if your current cable does not reach. Once the wiring has been completed and device(s) has/have been connected back, system should go back to its original condition.
You should test device just to make sure it's working at 100%.
If all is well and everything restored you can take system off test mode.

Would a terminal block work instead of pulling cable back?

mstrlucky74

That's a start. Note that splices are not allowed. You'll have to rough in the new location and pull conductors back to the device ahead of the existing pull station and also run from the new location to the next device. If they want the same physical pull station reused, you should move it after the conductors and back box are installed and then make the connection at the previous device in the loop. Demo out the old back box, cable, and raceway (if any). The critical period will be when you take the existing device out of the circuit. To keep the loop on line, you may want to temporarily connect the cable in the existing back box. Details will depend on whether this is conventional or addressable, Class A or B.

So your saying of you temporarily splice through that will keep the loop on-line? It's addressable and class A.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Terminal blocks work as long as you keep original wiring scheme, I would just check with your AHJ. Avoid T tapping though, it might thow off mapping (depending on the fire system being used.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Not here. A terminal block is a splice, and not allowed per the notes, unless there are additional notes specifically allowing terminal blocks that aren't shown here.

kwired

Electron manager

Most important step no matter what type of system it is or how you need to proceed otherwise, any mistake can have firemen showing up if you don't warn the monitoring center you are working on that system and could experience a false alarm. Some places they charge you to respond to a false alarm, plus you potentially took those firefighters away from helping someone that did have a true need for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.