Relocating is it possible/difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyboy

I live in Colorado and my wife and I are thinking of relocating to Cali. How difficult is it to get a license or be approved for one. What hoops do I need to jump through?
I am a Master Electrician.
Thanks

westernexplorer

Well, California now has a State Journeyman Electrician Certification and it is required to do Electrical work in California. They do not have a Master Electrician License, however if you want to be an electrical contractor, they do have a (C-10) Electrical Contractors license......the exam is electrical and business and law. The State Journeyman Electrician License exam is given by PSI and all you need to do is apply to the State of California with 4 years (8,000 hours ) of trade experience and a copy of your out of State License and $150 and when approved sit for the exam.......

Hope this helps.....

Mule

I would look at the market and verify that its better than where your at...this thing is wide spread....and aint over by a long shot....

dereckbc

Staff member
Yes I would think twice about this. Colorado is is much better shape then California. Even though housing prices have crashed in California, homes are still way more expensive there along with the cost of everything else. California still has a lot of corrections still left to make and that could take a few more years.

BMacky

I've lived/worked in CA for 25 years. The State has some issues right now and would love the additonal revenue. However, my feelings would be to say it's a bit of culture shock to move here. Like others have said, cost of living is somewhat crazy. I am in the Bay Area/Peninsula and rent a two story town home for almost $3000 month. A three bedroom/2 bath single-family near the freeway is still going for around $800K. If you have a family (kids) the schools can be rewarding but again to live near the better schools will cost more in either rental, ownership or travel time (running the kids to school/aftercare).

Take some time to sort it all out. I hear the union halls are pretty full of guys looking for work. I am in residential and have been plodding along OK, but who knows what the next few months will bring?

Good luck!

AV ELECTRIC

I live by edwards airforce base and you can bye a repo at the low end for 50,000 dollars property tax would be 700 hundred a year gas prices about 2 dollars a gallon heating 70 dollars and electrical 50 dollars a month that gives you some cost of living we are about an hour north of la. ide recomend looking at the military bases for work about 45 dollars per hour. theres work in la but you will have to commute good luck

Don't forget, the PE for Electrical is based on Electrical theory, not practical sub discipline (like the Architectural PE). So, if you are going to take the EE/PE exam, you really need to study your theory, not just how it relates to architecture.

Either way, good luck!;):grin:

-Dan

Inspectorcliff

Mr. Master Electrician

Mr. Master Electrician

I live in Colorado and my wife and I are thinking of relocating to Cali. How difficult is it to get a license or be approved for one. What hoops do I need to jump through?
I am a Master Electrician. : .
Thanks

Smiley Boy, someone take this kids temperature? Beautiful California, Hunks on the surfboards, babes in their_________oh, nevermind. I lived there in the late 60's and early 70's. My brother lived and worked around the San Diego area for 35 years. But he left Colorado when he was 17, so what did he know. I recommend you take your lovely bride and family for a two week vacation out there and see if you still have the same thoughts. Good luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.