Relocating loads that don't have EGCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
As I do more and more home energy storage along with solar I'm having to bone up more and more on my basic residential electrical knowledge.

What I've been running into lately is relocating loads that don't have EGCs, e.g. older NM with no ground, sometimes K&T. I want to make sure I'm not missing any code requirements here. Generally the scenario is that we are transferring the home-run from the existing panel to a new (backup loads) panel. Sometimes the existing home run comes directly into the new panel. More often we are extending it with a j-box and new wiring to our new panel. Of course our extension wiring has a ground and we bond our metal boxes. We are basically never changing anything about the actual outlets. (Often we know little detail about where the outlets are or what they look like.)

I'm aware that AFCI requirements may kick in if our extensions are over 6ft.

Am I missing any GFCI requirements that kick in with these old wiring methods that lack EGCs? Does the code allow them to stay as-is?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Does installing home energy storage require permits and inspections?
Are you licensed as an electrician/contractor?
As you point out, you need to bone up on basic residential electrical knowledge.
This seems like a DIY post. Send me a message to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.