Remodel Equipotential Bonding - Have to be Grid or Connected to Equipment

VickieKM

Occupation
Permit Manager
Running into issues with equipotential bonding in a Bay Area City. I apologize if this has been discussed prior.
They are requiring a copper grid to be installed under pavers and connected at the 4 pigtails of equal distance around the existing pool.
Is it not possible to do the 4 clamps, run the copper wire around the pool and connect to equipment? Would that not be enough to keep the structural rebar grounded. Is there not an alternative than the grid to keep with the code?
I ask because cost for this in our area is around $8000. Thats a lot to ask a homeowner.
Appreciate any feedback!!

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
NEC 680 is very explicit about bonding. There's no wiggle room in this.

Your best bet is to find an electrician who is familiar with swimming pools and either hire them to do the work or consult. They maybe can also help navigate your local officials to ensure the requirements are met.

And yes, the copper grid is expensive. But the code is the code and all in your area must comply.

david

Running into issues with equipotential bonding in a Bay Area City. I apologize if this has been discussed prior.
They are requiring a copper grid to be installed under pavers and connected at the 4 pigtails of equal distance around the existing pool.
Is it not possible to do the 4 clamps, run the copper wire around the pool and connect to equipment? Would that not be enough to keep the structural rebar grounded. Is there not an alternative than the grid to keep with the code?
I ask because cost for this in our area is around $8000. Thats a lot to ask a homeowner.
L0
Yes the NEC has options other than a copper grid, but you said your being required to use a copper grid.

Sounds like you already discussed your options with the Authorities in your srea.

VickieKM

Occupation
Permit Manager
L0

Yes the NEC has options other than a copper grid, but you said your being required to use a copper grid.

Sounds like you already discussed your options with the Authorities in your srea.
I go by ICC and CA codes. I also challenge inspectors (minimally) as sometimes they are not logical. No offense to inspectors out there!
To bond with 4 clamps on the bond beam rebar equal distance apart tied to a 8awg copper loop around the entirety of the pool should suffice and part of the CEC 680.26.
Why this inspector is insisting on the grid I cannot understand. If he can show me a muni code for that jurisdiction I will ease up but an inspector cannot just decide on the spot what personally will pass or fail.