Remote Building PV Systems Suppling Two Services

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I have an installation I was looking at on a farm. There are two services, one for the home and one for the farm buildings. A PV system is to be installed on a barn, that barn has already has a feeder. The barn PV system will be broken into two arrays, one will supply power back to service 1, the other to service 2. I feel this installation may create some issues with section 225.30.

Any thoughts?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My thoughts are that 225.30 specifically only regulates feeder supplies to a building, and 230.2 specifically regulates only service supplies to a building, and the two are independent requirements. So every building may have one service supply and one feeder supply.

I actually submitted some PIs for the 2026 NEC to change this and coordinate 225.30 and 230.2 so that a building by default only gets one supply, either a feeder or a service but not both. They were rejected, so I have some confidence that the intention is to allow one of each.

Cheers, Wayne

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
This building would have three feeders. One from service 1, and two from service 2.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ah, I misunderstood, I thought the "service for the farm buildings" supplied the barn directly, but apparently it does not.

Anyway, seems to me that 3 feeders is not a problem per 225.30(A)(5) "Parallel power production systems". Your existing feeder is the first one allowed by 225.30, and your two new PV-only feeders are allowed by 225.30(A)(5).

Cheers, Wayne

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Ah, I misunderstood, I thought the "service for the farm buildings" supplied the barn directly, but apparently it does not.

Anyway, seems to me that 3 feeders is not a problem per 225.30(A)(5) "Parallel power production systems". Your existing feeder is the first one allowed by 225.30, and your two new PV-only feeders are allowed by 225.30(A)(5).

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you.