Remote fuel tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment Haz.PDF Can you please help me with wiring methods of the following attachment. Hazardous location ?

Building #1 is the power source from panel inside

Building #2 Natural vented with a 500 gallon diesel tank and 250 gallon Gasoline tank

The 2 buildings are 4' apart

The conduit is underground coming up on the outside of each building

Building #2 is on a floating slab, does it need a expansion joint?

What points do I need sealoffs with heights, distances, code sections

Last edited by a moderator:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think you have given us enough information for us to be able to help you all that much. As for it being a hazardous location, presumably you mean classified. Hopefully some qualified person has made that determination already or should have. It is not up to the field electrician to make such a determination in most cases.

It's not clear if this qualifies as a fuel dispensing location. If it does there is a special section of the code that covers such locations. I forget what article it is but it is 500 something. If it is a fuel dispensing location there are other requirements to that you have to meet. The code will tell you what kind of wiring methods are acceptable as well.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
editpost.php
Can you please help me with wiring methods of the following attachment. Hazardous location ?

Building #1 is the power source from panel inside

Building #2 Natural vented with a 500 gallon diesel tank and 250 gallon Gasoline tank

The 2 buildings are 4' apart

The conduit is underground coming up on the outside of each building

Building #2 is on a floating slab, does it need a expansion joint?

What points do I need sealoffs with heights, distances, code sections

Your basic reference will be Article 515. As Bob (petersonra) pointed out, if fuel dispensing is involved, Article 514 will also be a reference. Both Articles are fairly clear about classification. As Bob also pointed out classification should have already been documented before you even started. [See Section 500.4(A)]

Wiring methods and sealing (except as altered by Articles 514 and 515) are still per Sections 501.10 and 15.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.