Remote Meter Base w/200 Amp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenerator

Remote 200A meter base, with service disconnect. It is 260' to the panel at the garage. Do we need to run the ground wire with the feeders, from service disconnect to panel, or can we drive 2 ground rods at the panel and derive our ground from there? Also, is an outdoor disconnect required at the panel?
Thanks!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes an EGC is required to be run with the feeder to the panel at the remote location. You also need a grounding electrode system (GES) at the remote location. Could be two ground rods if no other electrodes are present. An outdoor disconnect is not required but you do need a disconnecting means located where the feeder conductors enter the structure. Can be a main CB in the panel.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
And to be a little more clear, the GES at the remote building will attach to the 4th wire (equipment ground) and you will not be bonding the neutral and ground out there either (they need to be kept separated) many of the panels sold now have the equipment ground buss already installed.

Jenerator

Thank you for the great info and clearing it up! I figured as much about running the ground, but, grateful for the information.
Main circuit breaker in the panel, got it! Thanks again and I always enjoy learning from the Forum

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you for the great info and clearing it up! I figured as much about running the ground, but, grateful for the information.
Main circuit breaker in the panel, got it! Thanks again and I always enjoy learning from the Forum

You're welcome. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
What everyone else said applies - IF that remote location is considered to be the service disconnecting means.

Some areas this can vary, if that meter/disconnect is POCO provided and maintained, some may not consider that to be the service disconnect, in those cases what leaves that pole, pedestal, etc is still considered to be service conductors and you do not need a separate EGC. In those cases POCO can replace that equipment with anything they want to down the road - whatever that may be might not have overcurrent protection. If it were customer owned and maintained then it would require inspection if replaced and you would have to make it a service disconnect again.

Check with AHJ where you are at to see how they interpret this kind of thing, especially if said equipment is POCO installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.