remote operation of square d hvl switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpigg

Our plant had an arc flash study done and now we are having to call the electric company any time we have to work on any of the switches that are marked danger because of no ppe availablei have been looking into remote switching.means.of our p25 kv switches using something like the cbs remote.racking system. What other options could I use to remotelydisconnect these switches?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
To be honest I think you have started at the top with the CBS products. I have not seen an equal, the others I have seen are marginal by comparison. But I may not have seen them all...

And no, I don't work for them, that's Zog. I work for an equipment mfr and we offer our own, but it's specific to our operators and we don't offer versions for other mfrs. Besides, from the looks of it I have my suspicions that it comes from CBS anyway.

nakulak

Am I reading correctly, that a private company would rather spend the bucks for remote racking than for ppe ? (wonderful, albeit unusual if true)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your subject line says HVL, but your text talks about racking. What equipment do you really have?

I cannot think of a study I have done where the 25kV equipment was 'dangerous'. The last 34.5kV I did was only 25.65 cal/cm?, and was directly fed from the utility.

nollij

Am I reading correctly, that a private company would rather spend the bucks for remote racking than for ppe ? (wonderful, albeit unusual if true)

It could very well be the case that the arc flash level is above 40 cal/cm^2 and they want to rack/unrack the switches/breakers from another room or from outside the Flash Hazard Boundary.

pistolpigg

the equipment we have is fed directly from the power company to two separate disconnect switches then from the bottom of these switches to four sub switches that feed large transformers and from the second switch to 3 other switches that feed 3 more 25 kv to 480 v transformers

pistolpigg

So the company that did the arc flash study said that the calculations for this equipment put it well above the 40 cal range so there is no ppe available. Thats why we are investigating options to still be able to use these switches without having to call the power company to disconnect when working on something.

zog

So the company that did the arc flash study said that the calculations for this equipment put it well above the 40 cal range so there is no ppe available. Thats why we are investigating options to still be able to use these switches without having to call the power company to disconnect when working on something.

This what you need?

HVL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.