Renting out Fluke 1736

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Got an awesome 1736 logger for a job, now I am using it for a high school job and quoting them to set it up and monitor a the Transformer for future load increase. How much Should I charge??
When I was going to rent it, it would of cost me 667 bucks for a month.
I was going to do half that just so I can get them more inclined to do it. Unit cost me 6.5k

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Got an awesome 1736 logger for a job, now I am using it for a high school job and quoting them to set it up and monitor a the Transformer for future load increase. How much Should I charge??
I was going to do half that just so I can get them more inclined to do it. Unit cost me 6.5k
Most times it is about 10% of the cost of a new one per month

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
With all of my equipment, I usually charge a little less than what it would cost me to rent it. The customer saves money too, because I don’t have to charge time going to the rental place to get it. I charge for meggers, large hammer drills, data testers and underground tracers and the like. Most get paid for in two years or less.

FishingJim

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
I have been renting out power quality meters/loggers since 1987. Some advice.

Always try to encourage your customer to rent you or a person familiar with meter to setup, install, verify that meter is logging correctly, download, and produce report. Nothing is as bad as finding a months worth of data is trash because a current probe is installed backwards.

Build into your quote contingency fees if your access / installation / removal is delayed through no fault of your own. I don’t know how many times I have been cooling my heels because the contractor was late for the installation or the customer couldn't shut down equipment, because some IT person hadn’t read a memo.

if metering is time sensitive, plan one returning a couple of days after installation to verify that data is being logged correctly.

Always make sure that your equipment is protected. Elevated off the floor and oriented so that water cannot damage. Positioned that connectors are protected from physical damage.

Murphys law states that the longer you have to travel to the job-site, the more problems you will have. I always try to carry extra meters, probes, leads, power cords, laptop, and laptop connection cable.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
How much just to hold it and drool for a bit?