Repair of non-code-compliant abandoned wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I encountered an unusual situation recently. Contractor was excavating for a new duct bank. They uncovered and partially damaged a bundle of #10 XHHW wiring that was direct buried in the ground! It was <12" deep. Upon further investigation, this was determined to 24V (I think) irrigation wiring and it was abandonded in place about 15 years ago. Would it be a code violation to use a waterproof splice kit to repair the broken abandoned wire?

Contractor is responsible for repairing all damage, but I don't think its fair to require them to bring the entire install up to code. I'm assuming that a mile or of this bundle exists on-site in just the same way. I also don't think it's good to just cover it back up and call it a day. Even though the plumbing portion of the irrigation system is broken, I figure that the irrrigation controls were probably still functional (unconfirmed assumption). I cannot be responsible if the Owner decided to one day repair the plumbing and fire this system back up, but witha broken wire just "out there somewhere," I feel like I'm doing them a disservice by not having it repaired.

What are my code-compliant options?

Thanks!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I wouldn't waste my time. Many times when we dig we pull all kinds of junk up. You think I am going to worry about fixing some old pipe that hasn't been used in years? I only worry about something that's in use.

Furthermore, was it marked out or located for the excavator?

-Hal

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Also keep in mind that after 15 years there is no guarantee that the rest of the wiring is still intact. There could have been other damage that you are unaware of. I wouldn't worry about it other than maybe informing the owner.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
We run into this kind of stuff all the time.
Old landline cables are the worst.
Contract says we have to put it back the way it was. If they say forget about it we get it in writing.
We use heat shrink splices for stuff like that, or if its in landscaping we set some cheap'o 8" hand holes.
If its a large campus or commercial site they may have a mapping system and let you record a gps point and leave it.
I recently had to dig up a empty primary conduit stub at a 'logged point', it was actually about 3 feet off but we found it.

lakee911

Thanks, everyone, for your constructive comments. I made the decision to just let it be...alert the Owner and cover it back up. The electrical contractor told me that he would fix it anyway. Oh well.

lakee911

If the OP want's to spend money and labor on something he isn't responsible for, isn't even being asked to fix and was abandoned what is it?

But I'm happy to see he made the right decision. :thumbsup:

-Hal

Stupid or not, I'm not used to doing the bare minimum. I get paid regardless and I like to provide the most value for the buck so i go above and beyond in all service areas.

I have enough repeat clients to justify the approach.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is abandoned, that generally means not needed.

I think this is an owner call and who pays for what depends on some things.

If contractor was not informed it was there, that takes some of their responsibility away. If they are told it is there and that the owner desires it to remain intact in case it is ever needed - then it sort of is not abandoned.

I was digging one time where a fiber optic cable was buried, it was marked out where it was. Makes you nervous when you hit an old cable with many many pairs in it that was replaced years ago by the fiber and they never told you you might find this in the vicinity.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
You know you've got problems when you return from lunch and there's a cluster of phone company trucks around your excavation...

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You know you've got problems when you return from lunch and there's a cluster of phone company trucks around your excavation...

You've had that happen too huh?

That always seems to be a good reason to take an extended lunch until all those trucks are gone from the parking lot.... for safety reasons that is.... :) :angel:

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.