Replacement ballast decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
208VAC

Donated space.....[501.c3]

Have a dead H33-I-GX lamp with a Abolite AC-208 ballast.

Also have 4-5 NH 360 LC donated HPS lamps.

So if the ballast is toast [The %$&$ scissor lift is 2 ft too short for my smell test, but...] as well as the lamp, is it better to be buying a ballast for the 360 lamps; or should we get a new H33 & ballast?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
208VAC

So if the ballast is toast [The %$&$ scissor lift is 2 ft too short for my smell test, but...] as well as the lamp, is it better to be buying a ballast for the 360 lamps; or should we get a new H33 & ballast?

The lamp should match the ANSI Code on the ballast so if it's M59 get the M59 lamps.

H33 is a mercury vapor lamp but I think that goes along with M59 which is a metal halide lamp.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
The lamp should match the ANSI Code on the ballast so if it's M59 get the M59 lamps.

H33 is a mercury vapor lamp but I think that goes along with M59 which is a metal halide lamp.

Not sure even ANSI existed when these ballasts were made......the label on the case didn't mention same.

While looking for more data I found this on HD Ballast Testing.

The safest way I could see to do this test is with a foot-long wooden dowel the Mogul base diameter, with a center contact added & brought out, and a side contact. Alas, the cheaper DVM's lack AC current ranges so you need a shunt resistor.

Electric-Light

208VAC

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/nh|360|l|c.html

The 360 should work with the M59 as well as H33. See the note? That HPS is a special type specifically designed to retrofit into existing HID/mercury system. Whatever you can get your hands on easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.