Replacement Batteries for 18 V Cordless, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I was looking to get some new Makita 6.0 Ah batteries. Wow, they're kind if high.

Has any body used the replacement batteries? They're a lot cheaper priced. I'm wondering if they're cheaper built too.

Is it possible they're made in the same plant with different print on them ? I saw a documentary about some vitamins being made exactly the same. They just put different stickers / Logos on them.

Had any luck with the replacement batteries ? I use Makita, but replacement batteries are made for all brands.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I was looking to get some new Makita 6.0 Ah batteries. Wow, they're kind if high.

Has any body used the replacement batteries? They're a lot cheaper priced. I'm wondering if they're cheaper built too.

Is it possible they're made in the same plant with different print on them ? I saw a documentary about some vitamins being made exactly the same. They just put different stickers / Logos on them.

Had any luck with the replacement batteries ? I use Makita, but replacement batteries are made for all brands.
I bought some 4.0 replacement batteries for my Makita. They were about half price.

They were actually about 1.5 amp hour. I didn't measure or anything scientific, but I could just tell by the runtime they weren't even half.

Funny thing is, they cost more than what I would have paid for genuine Makita 1.5 amp hour batteries

I use only 5.0 amp hour batteries now, and I get them for about $50 each

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have cracked the cases on tool batteries and taken the cells to Batteries+ to get replacements, the replacements have been better. Most of those cases though are sonically welded plastic, so opening them is risky and when you get it back together, the battery packs are less robust (because now they are held together with tape).

The last time I looked (last month, for Ryobi), the cost of having a service rebuild the battery packs was almost the cost of new packs when shipping was added in; the cost of buying new cells was about half that for high-quality product and the 20-30 minutes of my time to do the work. Right now, I'm just buying new packs, the old ones might get attention if I'm really bored.

Never really considered the "budget-priced" packs on amazon since it'd pretty likely the cells in them are junk.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The last time I looked (last month, for Ryobi), the cost of having a service rebuild the battery packs was almost the cost of new packs when shipping was added in; the cost of buying new cells was about half that for high-quality product and the 20-30 minutes of my time to do the work. Right now, I'm just buying new packs, the old ones might get attention if I'm really bored.

Never really considered the "budget-priced" packs on amazon since it'd pretty likely the cells in them are junk.
I look on Ebay. People buy big packs and part them out at prices to move them. Others seem to find surplus deals. I have 10 batteries, all bought that way. Good prices

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have cracked the cases on tool batteries and taken the cells to Batteries+ to get replacements, the replacements have been better. Most of those cases though are sonically welded plastic, so opening them is risky and when you get it back together, the battery packs are less robust (because now they are held together with tape).
Last time I checked, they include opening and closing the case in their price, which is per cell.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Can't say for Makita, but for both Dewalt and Milwaukee have seen a failure or non functioning rate of over 50% on those no name look alike. Just wasn't worth it, atleast from an aggravation point. And most wont stand by their product. Whereas when I buy the "official product" if it fails they are good about their warrenty.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've NEVER heard anybody say anything good about rebuilt or after market tool batteries. Don't waste your money.

-Hal
a buddy of mine had some rebuilt at Batteries Plus and he said they were amazing. But that's all I know about it. Other than that, I think you're 100% right

retirede

I had a Ridgid 18v rebuilt at Interstate Battery. It cost the same as buying new. The guy told me they would be better than OEM, but I couldn’t tell the difference. No better, no worse.

I recently bought 18V Ridgid and 12V Bosch clones on Amazon. The Ridgid seems every bit as good as the real thing for less than 1/3 the price. I’ve only run the Bosch through a couple cycles. Hard to tell, but it seems to discharge more quickly than OEM.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you keep an eye out you can get some really good deals on name brand battery packs at the big box stores. Often they come with free shipping even.

I have heard nothing but good things about the quality of rebuilt packs from places like batteries plus, other than they have to tear your battery pack apart to to remake them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have some good ones I bought for my Milwaukee stuff. No difference in them, actually I think the run time is longer. Dewalt is a different story. I bought a few 18V from different mfg. One was DOA and they replaced it but it didn't last. Another one was a good battery but the way it was made it was too tight on the tool. I had to take a screwdriver and pry the battery loose from the tools. I actually broke the housing on my Saws-All getting the battery off. So no more knock offs for me, at least not for Dewalt.
What I have found a few times is a lot of either a big box or the mfg will have some of the tool packs on sale and come with batteries. Some are cheaper than you can buy new batteries for. Even if you have to buy the tool and save it for a spare, it's cheaper to buy the package than to buy just the batteries.

What I have found a few times is a lot of either a big box or the mfg will have some of the tool packs on sale and come with batteries. Some are cheaper than you can buy new batteries for. Even if you have to buy the tool and save it for a spare, it's cheaper to buy the package than to buy just the batteries.

Yeah, I actually dont recall ever buying just a battery. Seems like I always end up buying a milwaukee promo tool (or combo) for not much more than the stand alone batteries would be, then I have a new tool too.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I actually dont recall ever buying just a battery. Seems like I always end up buying a milwaukee promo tool (or combo) for not much more than the stand alone batteries would be, then I have a new tool too.
There was a black friday sale on Milwaukee M12 drill, driver, 2 batts, charger and bag, $99.00. Batteries normally go for $99 for two. Regular price is $199.00. With Milwaukee, they know once you get started you are hooked, so its like they give you the lamp and you have to buy the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.