Replacement breaker for Challenger sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
Hello and happy holiday to all.

I'm looking to add a breaker on an old Challenger panel. It looks from the 1950's and is listed as a Challenger SL12(8-16)CN. From what I've found it looks to be that Eaton BR series will work? Attached is pic of the panel. Challenger.jpg

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
It should fit. But, I wouldn't put alot of time or circuits in their. Some insurance providers will not cover Challenger.

Yeah, everything I've seen points to the Eaton BR series. Yes, understood. This is for the time being. I will do panel upgrade a bit later.

Thanks Buck!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe that CH bought the Challenger line so their breakers should cross list. FWIW, I never liked the Challenger line of breakers and panels. The breakers never sat solidly in their positions and had a tendency to wobble. The panel cover also never really locked them in. I'm not sure if it was the breakers or the panels that were the problem. Maybe the BR breakers will fit better.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the 80's Challenger had 3 different lines.
The type C & A line that is the subject of this thread plus they also owned the Zinsco and FPE Stab-Lok lines.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In the 80's Challenger had 3 different lines.
The type C & A line that is the subject of this thread plus they also owned the Zinsco and FPE Stab-Lok lines.

Then that would be the zinsco amd FPE type that insurance a CPS does not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.