Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

iwire

Staff member
IMO UL says it's OK so it's OK, but of course a CL breaker is limited to 10,000 AIC.

Ford can not refuse to warranty an engine because someone uses Fram oil filters.

So to me if a Square D main breaker burns up in a panel that has CL breakers in it they still have to warranty the main breaker. On the other hand I can see Square D being able to refuse to replace a bus that burned up at the point of connection with a CL breaker.

jamesoftn

So the classifed breaker can be used on any and all panels that it is listed for. I assume that older existing panels and new panel installs are considered the same? If I can buy a Square D Homeline panel and install approved CL breakers this is code compliant ( correct) ???
Does this trump 110.3 product listing (UL)from the manufacture?

Last edited:

ivsenroute

It is one thing for a breaker to be listed and labeled for use in a panel and another for the panel to be listed and labeled to accept that breaker.

Breakers are listed to be used in other brand panels for marketing purposes.

A panel manufacturer has the right to limit what product is used in their panel as long as the label states that, such as "only brand "A" breakers".

If the panel does not list an exclusive brand then the breakers that are listed for use in a panel can go in there in my opinion.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
so, if I understand the replies, we have a yes and a no.
Bob seems to say yes, based on the breaker listing...
Ivsenroute seems to say no, unless the panel list the breaker...

any other input ?

SEO

This has been an on going issue for several years. I don't like to see one manufacturers circuit breaker in another manufacturers panel unless the panel is listed for optional manufactures breakers. UL says it's ok but one manufacturer in perticular says no not in ours. There may not ever be a problem but what if a fault occured to the buss and caused a fire or other event that went to court and it was proven that a CL breaker was the cause? Do you think that UL will come to your defense?

radiopet

Inspectors, where do you stand on the use of breakers such as Cutler-Hammer's "CL" which are UL listed to be used in selected panels from other manufacturers.
GE, SquareD, ect say "no", but the C-H literature (attached) makes a compelling argument.
Do you accept a GE (Or SqaureD, etc) panel with these CL breakers ?

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?Idc...eased&Rendition=Primary&&dDocName=SA00304001E

I have no problem with it at all. Been to the manufacturers facility, seen what goes into their product and spoke with the engineers and have no problem with it at all. In fact, in most cases of replacements I would prefer to see those which are under strict specifications made for replacement used in older enclosures to which someone may have to struggle to find a replacement. So I have no problem with it at all.....

radiopet

This has been an on going issue for several years. I don't like to see one manufacturers circuit breaker in another manufacturers panel unless the panel is listed for optional manufactures breakers. UL says it's ok but one manufacturer in perticular says no not in ours. There may not ever be a problem but what if a fault occured to the buss and caused a fire or other event that went to court and it was proven that a CL breaker was the cause? Do you think that UL will come to your defense?

In many cases the warranty of the replacement exceeds anything that is left on the manufactures product anyway. I am sure you are refering to "Square D" in general but that is a McDonalds versus Wendy's thing to be honest. In new work the warranty is clear and replacements are not allowed under the existing warranty. However, in a replacement situation I would not worry about the issue near as much with a "Classified" breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.