Replacement for late 70s or early 80s GE Load Center BP- 700156

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanmitchell

Occupation
Historic (Old and outdated) Home Renovation
We're in a townhome and have a GE load center that's started tripping breakers. The breaker for the electric water heater keeps tripping and it's been suggested we replace the panel. The electrician said he can replace the breaker but the whole panel should be done. He quoted a replacement Square D QO panel and breakers. We got a second quote and that electrician suggested using a retrofit kit from Eaton with CH breakers. The retrofit would replace the main components and is the less expensive option. Square D QO and Eaton CH were recommended as the better quality breakers. We want good quality residential or light commercial-spec components.

Which is the better long term options and does anyone have experience with GE Load centers and Eaton retrofit kits? For the full replacement, the electrician said a 200 amp breaker wouldn't cost much more and he could put a 125 amp main fuse in it. and we'd be ready if we ever upgraded the main panel to 200 amps. 125 amps is meeting our needs for now but if we add anything we may need more power.

We have the 125 amp load center in the condo I think it's a submeter that's fed by a 125 amp main panel located outside by the meters and main circuit breakers in the equipment room. Both quotes include testing the 125 amp main breaker. Replacing or repairing the main panel would be an additional cost.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have no experience with the retro kits but given a choice Square D QO is the best you can buy. I'm curious, if circuit breakers are tripping why does the panel need to be replaced?

Buck Parrish

Yeah , I too am curious why the panel needs to be replaced. They usually tell us the breakers bad. Then we check it out and find a faulty appliance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd also replace the breaker after checking:

1. The current on each line conductor with a clamp-on ammeter.

2. The condition of the bus stabs and the breaker's stab contacts.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
GE has not changed anything substantial in their load centers in the last 40 years. People have their own personal bias on brand preference, but replacing an entire panel because one breaker is tripping is something that seems, on the surface, excessive. We are not there to see your equipment and installation however, so asking us to judge is not really appropriate.

That said...

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking report at the lower left hand corner of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.