Replacement main breaker for 1970 s GE Load Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanmitchell

Occupation
Historic (Old and outdated) Home Renovation
Where can I find what seems to be obsolete main breaker replacement or suitable alternative for customers 1970's era GE Load Center Class CTL Enclosed Panelboard? The panel instructions say:

125 Amp TLMB125HHB/ 125 Amp TLMB125

100 Amp TLMB100HHB/ 100 Amp TLMB100

120-240 volt A-C 3 wire 125 amp. Main utility service is 100 amp copper. We suggested replacing whole panel but customer doesn't want to invest in rental property.

FYI, I'm not a Rocket Scientist. That's just a joke... we need a Rocket Scientist to help that customer...

templdl

As you are agonizing over trying to location a replacement breaker which will most likely be used and not tested to factory specs consider either a replacement interior and trim or replacing the panel as all together.
Do a cost analysis that would include you time so far and the cost of as replacement breaker and there replacement interior/trim or a complete new panel.
Seriously consider perpetuating an old panel and breakers whose intergrety may be questionable at best with that of replacing it with current and up to date product. Look beyond just replacing the main breaker. You may be doing your customer a disservice.
From a professional point of view what type of work would you stand behind?

dylanmitchell

Occupation
Yep I'd waste time tracking down old part and get call back when next part goes bad. Better to do it now than breaker by breaker and wish you'd just done the whole panel at one time.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven't used GE equipment in many years but I believe the TLMB is a main breaker conversion kit. If so the breaker is just a standard THQL frame.

norcal

I haven't used GE equipment in many years but I believe the TLMB is a main breaker conversion kit. If so the breaker is just a standard THQL frame.

The above information is correct, just looked it up in a 1975 GE catalog. Still kind of weird to see plug fuse panels & split-buss loadcenters, but have some old ITE Imperial catalogs with the same relics.

kwired

Electron manager
Yep I'd waste time tracking down old part and get call back when next part goes bad. Better to do it now than breaker by breaker and wish you'd just done the whole panel at one time.
But with some customers you could charge them the same or close to the same amount to replace that main breaker only as you would for replacing the entire panel and they will be happy because you saved that older panel and didn't sell them a new one:roll:

dylanmitchell

Occupation
Big help the standard THQL frame is much easier to find. Everything is tough sale to landlord who doesn't have to live there.

Older neighborhood with plenty of surprises.Other jobs Federal Pacific andZinsco pop up. Explain I won't repair them and have customer Google Federal Pacific/ Zinsco and Fire on computer. Some call back some may get guy who will work on them.

GE seem like ok old panel. Perfect world all I'd only touch Square D QO and Eaton Hammer CH.

kwired

Electron manager
It's 40 years old, he has gotten his money's worth! It's time for a new panel with NEW breakers!
He has only gotten his money's worth out of it if he is the one that paid for it 40 years ago;)

If he bought the property 5 years ago it is only five years old to him:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.