Replacing existing 40 Year old 200 amp panel with a Brand new 200 amp Square D panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfbsu700

As the title applies I am replacing my old 45 year old 200 amp Connecticut electric panel with a 200 amp Square D panel. As I was re-wiring my Heat pump the other day I snapped my terminal on my 20 amp double pole breaker and I thought it would be no big deal I will just buy another one. Until the cheapest I found was 45 dollars for one , and that was a "used" breaker.

I am no stranger to electricity and have no issues doing the job myself. I work in a factory as an electrician for the last 10 years.

I never done a residential panel replacement. I have a few questions for the experienced residential guys.

I don't need a permit or to be licensed in my township. But will need it inspected afterwords.
Seeing how I already have a 200 amp service do I need to replaced my existing feed from my meter, and if so why ?
Besides basic electrical safety what else should I excited to get it done in the quickest amount of time so everything doesn't melt in my freezer ?
Newer codes that I need to be aware of sense I am doing an upgrade ?

I know , no matter how much you prepare for a job there are always things that come up that you need to deal with just trying to cover my bases so I don't have to make 5 trips to the electrical supply store.

Thank You

PetrosA

With a 40 year old service you could be opening cans of worms at a few stages here. You would probably need to replace the service cable coming in as the old one may be too short to reach the new lugs (A new 40 circuit panel will be a lot larger than what you have now). The meter socket may be reusable, but it may also be so corroded that it's better to replace. Grounding will probably need to be brought up to date. Shoot me a private message if you want. Maybe I can stop by and take a look at things to help you prepare for the change out.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As the title applies I am replacing my old 45 year old 200 amp Connecticut electric panel with a 200 amp Square D panel.

Seeing how I already have a 200 amp service do I need to replaced my existing feed from my meter, and if so why ?
No, unless there is something amiss with the existing install.
Besides basic electrical safety what else should I excited to get it done in the quickest amount of time so everything doesn't melt in my freezer ?
The freezer should be fine for twelve hours or better. If you run into a snag you can pack it with dry ice and be good for days. Do you know anybody with a generator?
Newer codes that I need to be aware of sense I am doing an upgrade ?
Gotta talk you your inspector to be sure on this one. I would suggest talking to him before you start the project.
I know , no matter how much you prepare for a job there are always things that come up that you need to deal with just trying to cover my bases so I don't have to make 5 trips to the electrical supply store.
It would be a very good thing to have someone around who can make a run or two to the supply house for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.