Replacing HID w/fluorescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

patpappas

I thought once I had seen and add in EC&M about fluorescent lights that could replace 400W HID, I can not find anything now, I am looking for a more efficient replacement for the old (12yrs) HID fixtures, these are indoors used as indirect lighting off a ceiling.

DAWGS

They are fluorescent hi bays. We are installing 85 on a job right now. They are a direct replcement for 400W metal halides. We are using a six lamp T5 54W HO. We have installed many of these in the past, and our customers are vey happy with the light. The actual part # for our fixture is IB 654 WD. These are lithonia.

cschmid

DAWGS said:
They are fluorescent hi bays. We are installing 85 on a job right now. They are a direct replcement for 400W metal halides. We are using a six lamp T5 54W HO. We have installed many of these in the past, and our customers are vey happy with the light. The actual part # for our fixture is IB 654 WD. These are lithonia.

I have used them and I think they are junk..they are a pain to service especially in the air you have to dismantle the entire fixture to change ballast..But these are my own personal feelings..

DAWGS

cschmid said:
I have used them and I think they are junk..they are a pain to service especially in the air you have to dismantle the entire fixture to change ballast..But these are my own personal feelings..

You have to take a 400W or 1000W right down to change a ballast, whats the difference? We can change the ballast in the flo's a lot quicker than we can the existing metal halides.

DAWGS

cschmid said:

Flo Light, approximate 15 min
Step 1, Kill power
Step 2, swing open safety cage
Step 3, take out lamps
Step 4, Take off ballast cover
Step 5, Change out ballast

Hid Fixture, approximate 1/2-1 hr
Step 1, Kill Power
Step 2, Let cool down for 15 min
Step 3, Unplug or unwire fixture to take out of ceiling
Step 4, Dissasemble fixture
Step 5, change out ballast

cschmid

DAWGS said:
Flo Light, approximate 15 min
Step 1, Kill power
Step 2, swing open safety cage
Step 3, take out lamps
Step 4, Take off ballast cover
Step 5, Change out ballast

Hid Fixture, approximate 1/2-1 hr
Step 1, Kill Power
Step 2, Let cool down for 15 min
Step 3, Unplug or unwire fixture to take out of ceiling
Step 4, Dissasemble fixture
Step 5, change out ballast

Hid fixture, approximately 40 minutes
step 1, kill power
step 2, get on lift go up to light
step 3, remove light bulb & hood
step 4, remove ballast assembly
step 5, install new ballast assembly and reassemble hood and install new bulb
step 6, lower your self to ground and turn on light..
ballast kits and already assembled replacement ballast are 10 dollars different..I know form experience that a replacement ballast assembly last three times longer than just replacing ballasts..light are one persons full time job with us..

Florescent fixture Light, approximate 40 minutes
step 1, Kill power
step 2, swing open safety cage and remove
step 3, take out six lamps stack in lift so they don't fall out
step 4, Take off light reflective shield (ballast cover)
step 5, Change out ballast
step 6, reassemble light reflector shield and install 6 new bulbs
step 7, lower yourself down and reinstall cage
step 8, lower yourself to ground go turn on light.

you forgot that fumbling around on lift with more items as well..Cost is not even less than half the price..you save on energy costs, ballast cheaper but bulbs are fairly costly nothing else..

lift type is up to operator I like platform lifts for these tasks..If using a bucket lift you are going to take a load to the ground and bring another load up..not enough room..So we should be more accurate about time as we have to acquire materials, haul them to the location and clean up the mess..it is all part of the job..just as loading the lift or driving it around the plant is as well..I did not include lift time..

I use them but still think they are cheaply made and junkie..

Status
Not open for further replies.